Story on Fibro in Hometown paper!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tinaeve, May 14, 2003.

1. tinaeve

tinaeve New Member

Hi all,
    I am so excited.I emailed a reporter at my newspaper about a month ago and requested they do an article on fibromyalgia.I had already given up hope that they would respond,when tonight I got a reply! They are going to do a story and want me to call tomorrow.Yippeeee.I will keep you all informed. tinaeve
  2. evileva

evileva New Member

They just did an article on Fibro in the Tucson paper! Maybe the word is starting to get out!
    Eva
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Tinaeve:

Congratulations on taking the initiative to call your paper. Everything we do to help our cause means more help and understanding for all of us. Keep us informed.

Ellen Comstock
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Try to get a feel for whether they are planning to do a story based on your experience itself, a story with pro and con on whether it's "all in our heads," or whether the reporter has a slant to begin with. It will help you to ge the real story out there and educate the public. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Make sure they are not going to quote you out of context in order to promote the opposite of what your viewpoint actually is. Even if the reporter seems supportive, his/her editor may have a hidden agenda, and the editor has the last word. Be careful and good luck.

Evileva - I am so jealous! Tuscon is one of the best places to get help for Fibro in the country...it may be the very best.
  6. mamafurr

mamafurr New Member

maybe i should do the same thing. small town here too and fm definately needs the exposure. how about all you small towners (usually these papers love to do personal stories) do the same. then since the articles are in print. fax or mail a copy to local/state/big boys and girls. maybe they will get the hint. read my bio apart from the diagnosis part (me 13 yrs ago) we look like twins.lol
    alice
  7. tinaeve

tinaeve New Member

Thanks Mikie,for the ideas.I will definately look for any hidden agendas.
  8. outraged

outraged New Member

Tinaeve:

Hi! First let me commend and thank you for your courage to email your local newspaper and demand an article regarding this horrific disease! Do on with your bad self!!
    Not only am I proud of you for standing up for yourself, but I am so thankful that you did this as any coverage will affect all of us who suffer from this. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
    Here's a big hug (((((((((((((TINAEVE)))))))))))))!

God Bless,

Kim
  9. swred5

swred5 New Member

I would like to see if I could find the article on-line, but I know they have several papers. I live in Mesa, AZ, and my in-laws just moved back after living in Tucson for 2 1/2 years.

Tinaeve-great job! Can we find that newspaper on-line? If so let us know!
  10. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

They had one in San Diego paper awhile back...was really depressing though...profiled a woman whose life had deteriorated so bad and despite seeing multiple doctors was
    losing everything financially and health wise.
    Really sad how bad this stuff can be.....
  11. tinaeve

tinaeve New Member

I live in Columbus,Indiana and the name of the newspaper is The Republic.Put a dotcom after for website.I haven't been interviewed yet and reporter said it would be a couple of weeks before it was published.So I will let everyone know as soon as I do.I will find a way to get it put on the net.I just hope it is a satisfying article.Thanks for the encouragement EVERYONE!!!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/16/2003]