strange experience with ibuprofen

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by twjen, Nov 25, 2002.

1. twjen

twjen New Member

Hello everyone, Two nights ago I decided to take an 800mg ibuprofen for pain. I was awake most of the night with severe stomach cramps and nausea, all into the next day and even got a fever from it. I was so sick from the ibu. I couldnt tell you if it killed any pain. Then Yesterday my body felt in about 50% less pain and the bad effects of the ibuprofen wore off. (still had cognitive stuff, but my spirits were higher because I felt some relief). Then this morning I am back to feeling all the pain, woke up at 2 am from it and didnt sleep much more. Strange experience with the ibuprofen and I wonder if that is why I felt better yesterday. Although I cant say how sick it made me for all those hours was worth it. And wonder why it gave me a fever and if that had anything to do with the better day I had yesterday. Anyone else had odd experience like this?
    The sickness from the ibu. I cant say was worth it, although it was sure nice to feel like I did yesterday.
    They say fibro. is not from actual inflamation, but sometimes it sure seems so. Anyway, just curious as usaul.
    Thanks for listening, Have a good day. Jen
  2. twjen

twjen New Member

Hello everyone, Two nights ago I decided to take an 800mg ibuprofen for pain. I was awake most of the night with severe stomach cramps and nausea, all into the next day and even got a fever from it. I was so sick from the ibu. I couldnt tell you if it killed any pain. Then Yesterday my body felt in about 50% less pain and the bad effects of the ibuprofen wore off. (still had cognitive stuff, but my spirits were higher because I felt some relief). Then this morning I am back to feeling all the pain, woke up at 2 am from it and didnt sleep much more. Strange experience with the ibuprofen and I wonder if that is why I felt better yesterday. Although I cant say how sick it made me for all those hours was worth it. And wonder why it gave me a fever and if that had anything to do with the better day I had yesterday. Anyone else had odd experience like this?
    The sickness from the ibu. I cant say was worth it, although it was sure nice to feel like I did yesterday.
    They say fibro. is not from actual inflamation, but sometimes it sure seems so. Anyway, just curious as usaul.
    Thanks for listening, Have a good day. Jen
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

If I took that much Ibuprofen at one time, I would be in the hospital screaming in pain from my stomach!

It does keep some people awake, it does me. I only take the OTC Advil gel caps (200mg.), and only if the pain is very severe. No more than two a day.

As for the fever, I have gotten unrelated fever that would last a day or two without any seeming reason for it.

I read, I think it was in Devin Starlanyl's book, that if you take Advil half hour after a low dose Xanax, that the Xanax with enhance the effects of the Advil for pain. It does work. But not that high dose that you took.

Shalom, Shirl

4. twjen

twjen New Member

I usualy dont take much pain meds, but was just to the point of agony that I hoped it would help. Dr. precribed them for pain and told me to take 3 a day. That is a little crazy to me, I couldnt even handle the one. I will go back to buying the 200mg's and see if that helps. Seems to me right now that the only thing thats going to help is slowing down and taking a rest here and there. That is what I havent tried, but even hurt when I do try to rest which is just a recent thing for me. THanks for your info. its so nice to have friends here! Have a nice THanksgiving!