Strange Head Feelings or My Mind Feels Like I AM Going Crazy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Nov 8, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Not Sure how to describe this head feeling ...It's like my mind is not clear, not brain fog, its something like anxiety, depression but not that either..Oh, how I wish I could describe how my mind feels, something like I have no feeling for anything and I might just be going completely crazy...I just can't feel laughter or happiness...I feel somewhat off balance and just plain weird...

Its like my head is full of something,like a big thick cloud and I just don't feel right in the head..Seems to be with me most of the time..If I ever have a clear feeling in my head and mind then I know I am going to have a good day and its great..By the way I have CFS, FIBRO and MCS...
    So they say,,I too doubt my dx. so often...

The only meds I take is xanax..and I had this feeling before the xanax..I take .25 three times a day for anxiety and it helps with pain...I think if it wasn't for the mind think I could tolerate the other symptoms...

Wish I could be clearer with my describtion...

Thanks and God Bless,
    greatgran

2. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I get something similar. Only, what happens is, it's an overwhelming feeling, and next thing I know, I'm crying my eyes out. It's like I've just seen my death, or have come to grips with the end of myself.

It usually happens when my pain meds fail and I'm in so much pain I feel like I'm boiling in a vat of oil.

Soft hugs to you!
    Mini
  3. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Greeting from onr greatgran to another.

I think I understand what you mean about strange senations in the mind or brain.

I get a kind of a feeling that little bubbles are coming from my head along with an irrational anxiety[thinking this time I am going to die for sure]even if the pain is in my leg, I think it is my heart and my heart is fine.

These feelings are very hard to describe, I try to explain to people that there are sensations that are worse than physical pain.

I guess it must be an anxiety caused from sensory overload from all that goes with this disease.

I hope today is a better one for you! Love Denamay
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

I had something similiar to that happen to me. It was when I started using Protopic for eczema. It caused me to have a "really dull facial expression". Also, very dull affect. No emotion, one way or the other. Much like a Parkinsons patient. I switched over to Elidel and it did the same thing. Tried homeopathic remedies, and they did the same thing. It also caused a SEVERE, and I mean SEVERE pain in the groin, upper legs.

The Dermatologist I was seeing was THE MOST condescending assh**e I have EVER had the displeasure of seeing. And I have seen a lot of them. I even requested a trial using the pediatric dose of Protopic but the results were the same.

By the way, Protopic cleared my skin smoother than a newborn babies' butt. But who can live with the brain and leg problems. Not me.

So, now I reverted back to using a topical cream of Triamcinalone, very sparingly.

The brain changes were PROFOUND and much like what you described.
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks for your replies..Its so good to talk to someone that understands..

Elliespad, Isn't it bad we can't seem to tolerate medicine..Glad you got pretty skin out of it..but the horrible feeling..

Denamay and Mini, guess you are both right, Maybe the way we feel is sensory overload and anxiety..cause when I take xanax it does seem to help a little...

So glad you can relate but sorry you have to suffer with the crazy feeling...

God Bless and hope each of you are having a better day...

greatgran
  6. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I have periods of severe depression, but sometimes I just feel "unsettled", can't figure out what it is, but it's a different feeling. I have thoughts of drilling a hole in my head and pouring in some Draino to clear it all out!!! Seems like I'm losing my mind!
    I will usually take an ativan to calm me down, but sometimes it lasts for days. I think it's just another way of feeling depressed and hopeless with a bit of anxiety mixed in and also the pain and fatigue wearing on me.....

I take Prozac for the depression and an assortment of other meds for the fibro, sometimes I feel like quitting all the meds cuz I still feel so bad anyway. It's just so disgusting. Anyway, sorry you're feeling this way....I know it's no fun.

xxxooo Hermit
  7. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

but it sucks that any of us has to experience these things. For over two months now I have been feeling like I am going crazy. I am sure it is a part of anxiety and depression as mine came at a very stressful time. I have had my moments of being depressed and having anxiety since I got CFS but nothing like what I have been feeling lately.

I too just feel like I am losing it or something. For me I feel disconnected from the world or from reality. I don't really know how to explain it. Mine started at a very stressful time and is slowly decreasing with time as the stress and anxiety decrease. Not sure why I feel this way but I hope it stops soon...just know I don't like feeling crazy!

OH and I also wake up in the middle of the night sometimes feeling like I am about to die or almost just died or something. Very weird and scary feeling and this is not new and has happened a lot since getting CFS.

I too feel like the days I feel more clear headed are my better days.

At least we are not alone!
  8. STML

STML New Member

I have very simalr head sensations, is exactly the same that when my head is clear its a good day for me, when it was really bad it felt like I was going mad too, its only now I realise physically I'd got so bad it was affecting my brain, I still have slow processing, can't get rid of thoughts as fast in my head and have a constant tugging from muscles in my head down to botoom of back and around hips, which then affects my mobility,
    best advice I can give is, if you know you weren't the type to get down easily, use that to prove to yuorself your nopt going mad and try to just 'flow with it' no matter how wierd it gets as does get better than this, I had to keep recitin Kiplings 'If' in my head for months at first..'if u can keep your head while all those around you are losing theirs' to tell myself I wasn't going mad, funny!
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I occasionally feel that way but I'd describe it as apathy -the extreme side of depression. Matter of fact, it's been with me for about three weeks now. I get apathetic and yet I feel as if I'm losing touch with reality. At those times the depression and anxiety increase.

You may need to check with your doc to see if you can increase your Xanax dose or add something else. I'm debating what to do myself so I'll be watching this thread.

Marta
    [This Message was Edited on 11/09/2006]
  10. llama

llama New Member

Hi all,

Reading through this thread, I can see myself in a lot of the problems that others are experiencing.

Especially Marta608, I swing between being apathetic or else being at times belligerent. I've been dx'd with Bipolar 2 (hypomania) apparently this rage I feel, at times, is the mania coming out (because I'm sure never physically manic, lucky I can move somedays lol).

I agree with whoever said that if they felt "clear-headed" it would probably be a good day. It seems like I can keep things in prospective and just have a whole different outlook...not that I'm ever "Sally Sunshine" but at least have normal reactions.

But, oh my, when I wake up and my mind is muddled and just dull, I can really get verbally wicked and just in general am so restless I could just scream! I've heard it called wired but tired...you feel all jazzed up but have no physical energy to let this mental energy out.

Thanks for letting me ramble (sorry)....Jill.......
  11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Jill, you sound just like me. Wire and tired is one of the states of mind I can be in. Just plain 'ole tired is another one AND recently, down and depressed is one more. I think I need to look into Bipolar 2 because my mood swings are getting more severe. Lovely.

Marta
  12. saintpaulia23

saintpaulia23 New Member

I definitely would say it's apathy, but it can also be compounded with brain fog, or just a weird sense of surrealism, or just like you're mentally going through molasses.
  13. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

when my brain is functioning, again

Suz
  14. llama

llama New Member

Hi Marta,

Sorry we have something in common..lol

I had been treated with every new antidepressant that has come on the market in the last 20 years, with no real change. My baseline is always mild depression, that can rapidly escalate to mod./severe.

When I was younger, I could sometimes be in denial for awhile, like if I happened to have lost some weight, or was really interested in some guy...playing all the little games to get them to ask you out.

But when just regular old reality returned so would my baseline depression...then of course, when my dad died, it threw me into a tailspin for a couple years (I don't get over things very easily) etc. Always on an emotional rollercoaster, fearing how I would handle the next bad event. Afraid that I would spiral down so far that I'd never recover.

So, when I started with a new therapist some months back and she suggested Bipolar, I was almost stunned b/c I was thinking of the classic stereotype...which I'm not.
    After reading up on Type 2, I really think that I am.

I'm on Lamictal, which has greatly helped cognitively, but I sometimes feel wired. I'm just kind of playing with the dose (she told me to) to see what is most agreeable.

I sincerely hope that you look into it and hope you can be headed toward the right treatment for you.....Jill.....
  15. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I have been reading this post today and posted above myself. It is so comforting to be able to come to this board and be able to talk about things you are feeling either physically or mentally and know that no one is going to judge you or think you are weird or dismiss you.

Just seeing this post today made me feel better as I have been struggling with the feelings on this post for a few months now. It is SOOO nice to know that people understand it and that it isn't just me.

I have tried to explain these feelings to a few close people to me and although they are supportive they still can't understand exactly what I am talking about AND it usually ends up scaring them. Nice to know you all understand.

I have learned that these illnesses not only affect our bodys but also our brains. It can be scary at times but it makes it easier and less scary when we have each other to talk to.

Sorry for rambling. Just wanted to thank everyone for coming to the board everyday and not being affraid to post about anything that they may be dealing with.

THANKS!
    Pam
  16. greatgran

greatgran Member

To each of you who have posted..It sure does help to talk to those who can relate...and puts my mind at ease to a point..

My "spells" as I call them are much worse in the morning, sometimes they ease off some during the day and sometimes not..Such a strange feeling and try telling this to a doctor...It just goes over the top of their heads...Do you ever get that look from them...

I have tried antidepressants but just can't seem to find one I can tolerate...It is time for me to go back to the doc for refills on xanax so going to discuss this more in detail with her if she will listen...

Great to hear from each of you ...This DD does effect our brains...and all other parts..haha...

God Bless,
    greatgran
  17. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I forgot about those "episodes", as they usually hit me around mid afternoon/early evening. Although I'm pretty fogged up in the morning, my caffeine usually clears that.

But just a few days ago, I told my husband I needed to check myself into a mental ward, as I was literally "losing my mind".

You described it well greatgran. Hard to describe, but there's no controlling it. Usually lasts a couple of hours, and then I finally get to sleep. But it's one of the worst new symptoms for me. If it continues, I'll definitely search for someone .........like finding a needle in a haystack!!

I know it's my brain chemistry, so think I might go back in for some more neurofeedback to see if that'll give me more balance.

Thanks for bringing this up; as scary as it is.

BRIGHT LIGHT****************Carole
  18. code34me

code34me New Member

I dont try to explain it much to my family because there is no discription that they will understand. My head is heavy, full of thick goo. I have the thought alot to just go on top of a mountain where the wind is blowing, put my arms out like I am going to fly and just breath in the air. I guess it seems like mabey it would clear my head or something?

I am on a different level than the rest of the world. I struggle to think and not forget things all the time!

Right now I have to go and put a Lincoln Log house together for my son and it is all I can do to want to do that or pretend like I am enjoying it. (Sad huh?)

Well best wishes to you all got to go.

Take care of you! Codey
  19. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I have to say that this exactly describes the sort of weird in the head thing I had for about a year after having severe vertigo that morphed eventually into dizzyness. I only get this now and then now so I do think it was part of a huge FM flare I was in at the time and also a terrible neck. I even had numbness left side of head and neck. It is a scary feeling. Meclazine helped some at first.

Love Anne
  20. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

It happened more when I tried to do a job with a lot of responsibilities and lots to remember, brain overload. In my old posts, you will see that I quit that job.

I use to fear answering the phone and not even remembering my own name. I would write everything down by the phone, even the company name, etc.

I just accept I can't be responsible for someone elses business like that.

I am in a p/t job now with less responsibilities, get paid less, but this is reality for me if I want to function. Plus, I enjoy the work.

I have my own home-business, also, that I do not have to answer to someone else if I screw up.

So, yes, I know what you mean and it is hard to explain.

You are not alone and it is here where you will find a lot of great people that are willing to share their experiences with you.

Patti