Strange headaches in back of head

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Heirloom, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Heirloom

Heirloom New Member

Has anyone else experienced this? I have these weird headaches in the back of my head just above my neck. They started several years ago, actually right before I was diagnosed with fibro. It sort-of pulsates, and they seem to occur more when I'm tired.

Anyway, they're very uncomfortable and make me want to support the back of my head and neck. In fact, if I do support the area, the headache gets better. During one of these episodes, the area feels tight and tense.

Doctors have not helped or offered advice. I have had normal MRIs.
  2. dleaning

dleaning New Member

Hi Heirloom,

Yes, I do get headaches like that alot, I think they are classified as "tension headaches". They are extremely painful. I remember leaving my sisters house with one of those and I had to drive almost an hour to get home. They are hard to get rid of too!!

You are not alone!

3. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

Just wondering if you've had a cervical (neck) MRI.
  4. Heirloom

Heirloom New Member

I had one a few years ago, and it was normal. However, since then I have xrays that showed mild degenerative disc with bone spurs and some disc space reduction.
  5. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

Have you ever incurred a whiplash injury from an auto-accident? I've been hit multiple times, always at a traffic signal while stationery and have the same symptoms you describe. Mine flare up with extension (looking up at the sky, painting a ceiling, kissing my tall guy, etc.) and prolonged sitting. I've found traction, stretching, and massage as well as using the micro-electronic nerve stimulator (same trigger points as accupuncture but non-invasive) to be of great relief when I have the luxury of being home when the bloody migraines hit. If I'm away, then it's pain meds, and typically I need twice the dose Rx'd to even touch the pain. Good luck!
  6. Mary100

Mary100 New Member

yes, i get those all the time. hard to hold head up. they are a mystery to all - like me :)
  7. Heirloom

Heirloom New Member

You have all been so helpful. I have been battling these headaches for about 10 years, and I now feel more hopeful. Thanks, everyone, for your support.
  8. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

to hold up my aching head.

9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Yes! I have them when I'm very tense and might not even realize it until the pain appears.

Massaging the areas that's sore will relieve the pain - right after it stops hurting to massage it.

10. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I can't get any doctor to underdtand them. I tell them I ned stronger med's during these awful migraine like headaches, migraine med's don't work.

This is my major symptom and why i can't work, drive, clean, cook, etc.

EVERYTHINg I do tightens my neckmand shoulders making me dizzy and have a tight "shrink wrap" feling. med's and P.T. don't help.

PT thinks i need more exercise, that makes it worse, no one understands.

So sorry you guy's have thses, but nice to know i am finally not alone.

typing makes this wrse, but some day's i need to be on here, so i type and pay for it big time.

Ps. had MRI's nothing.
  11. tlayne

tlayne Member

My dr calls them tension headaches. I think they are from muscle spasms. My dr prescribed Floricet. This med is the first one that has helped me. I also try to remmember to tuck my chin into my chest instead of hyperextending it. Massage is also good. I hope this helps. Hugs, Tam
  12. NanceZ

NanceZ New Member

I used to get them all the time. The first year or so of my illness. Now I get them rarely and I know I've really overdone things and have to stop and slow done NOW.

I go to a chiro once a week and he helps me tons with headaches and other aches.

I remember lying on a cold can of soda under that are of my neck to relieve some of that pain.
  13. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I get this stuff too. It is awful. Pain goes right into the bones. I have degenerative discs etc too and arthritis in neck. I find lying on tennis balls helps sometimes.

Love Anne Cromwell

[ advertisement ]