Strange headaches in back of head

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Heirloom, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Heirloom

Heirloom New Member

Has anyone else experienced this? I have these weird headaches in the back of my head just above my neck. They started several years ago, actually right before I was diagnosed with fibro. It sort-of pulsates, and they seem to occur more when I'm tired.

Anyway, they're very uncomfortable and make me want to support the back of my head and neck. In fact, if I do support the area, the headache gets better. During one of these episodes, the area feels tight and tense.

Doctors have not helped or offered advice. I have had normal MRIs.
  2. dleaning

dleaning New Member

Hi Heirloom,

Yes, I do get headaches like that alot, I think they are classified as "tension headaches". They are extremely painful. I remember leaving my sisters house with one of those and I had to drive almost an hour to get home. They are hard to get rid of too!!

You are not alone!

Dawn
  3. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

Just wondering if you've had a cervical (neck) MRI.
  4. Heirloom

Heirloom New Member

I had one a few years ago, and it was normal. However, since then I have xrays that showed mild degenerative disc with bone spurs and some disc space reduction.
  5. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

Have you ever incurred a whiplash injury from an auto-accident? I've been hit multiple times, always at a traffic signal while stationery and have the same symptoms you describe. Mine flare up with extension (looking up at the sky, painting a ceiling, kissing my tall guy, etc.) and prolonged sitting. I've found traction, stretching, and massage as well as using the micro-electronic nerve stimulator (same trigger points as accupuncture but non-invasive) to be of great relief when I have the luxury of being home when the bloody migraines hit. If I'm away, then it's pain meds, and typically I need twice the dose Rx'd to even touch the pain. Good luck!
  6. Mary100

Mary100 New Member

yes, i get those all the time. hard to hold head up. they are a mystery to all - like me :)
  7. Heirloom

Heirloom New Member

You have all been so helpful. I have been battling these headaches for about 10 years, and I now feel more hopeful. Thanks, everyone, for your support.
  8. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

to hold up my aching head.

Suzette
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Yes! I have them when I'm very tense and might not even realize it until the pain appears.

Massaging the areas that's sore will relieve the pain - right after it stops hurting to massage it.

Marta
  10. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I can't get any doctor to underdtand them. I tell them I ned stronger med's during these awful migraine like headaches, migraine med's don't work.

This is my major symptom and why i can't work, drive, clean, cook, etc.

EVERYTHINg I do tightens my neckmand shoulders making me dizzy and have a tight "shrink wrap" feling. med's and P.T. don't help.

PT thinks i need more exercise, that makes it worse, no one understands.

So sorry you guy's have thses, but nice to know i am finally not alone.

typing makes this wrse, but some day's i need to be on here, so i type and pay for it big time.

Claudia
    Ps. had MRI's nothing.
  11. tlayne

tlayne Member

My dr calls them tension headaches. I think they are from muscle spasms. My dr prescribed Floricet. This med is the first one that has helped me. I also try to remmember to tuck my chin into my chest instead of hyperextending it. Massage is also good. I hope this helps. Hugs, Tam
  12. NanceZ

NanceZ New Member

I used to get them all the time. The first year or so of my illness. Now I get them rarely and I know I've really overdone things and have to stop and slow done NOW.

I go to a chiro once a week and he helps me tons with headaches and other aches.

I remember lying on a cold can of soda under that are of my neck to relieve some of that pain.
  13. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I get this stuff too. It is awful. Pain goes right into the bones. I have degenerative discs etc too and arthritis in neck. I find lying on tennis balls helps sometimes.

Love Anne Cromwell