Strange Nerve Pain in head

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monica33flowers, Feb 2, 2009.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I have fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, degenerative disc disease and about six months ago I had a cervical C4-C5 neck fusion.

Lately, I've been having lots of migraines which is pretty typical here in WI with all the different weather fronts. What I'm experiencing is strange "zingers" (nerve pain) all over in different spots of my head.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, any tips as to what it might be or if I should see my neurosurgeon or my migraine dr.?

2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I had something that felt like electricity or a lightening bolt shooting through my head at seemingly random times when I was going off of meds...and after researching it myself, I found that it could be a reaction to meds...going on or off them or changing them. I don't know if that's what your "zingers" feel like, or if you are taking meds or have recently stopped or changed some, but that's one thing to look into as a cause.
  3. sk8enscars

sk8enscars New Member

I get the zingers! They come and go randomly and I'm not on any meds. I usually call them lightning bolts. They're so "shocking" that I immediately bring my hand up to either hit the spot or hold down on it without even thinking about it. Sometimes they make me dizzy for a short period...
  4. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

I am getting pressure sensations, and electrical twinging over the top of my head. I also have bulging cervcal discs, and believe it is caused by muscle tension, due to things being out of alighnment.

I once took a course of muscle relaxants which got rid of a similar sensation.

I am also wandering what to do. It really feels like something wrong in the brain.
  5. jmq

jmq New Member

Yes, I get them when I tried to wean off the Cymbalta. I am still taking the Cymbalta because I have not been able to cope with the brain zaps. They are aweful arent they! I also get migraines and have vision problems with them...but the brain zaps are different. Are you on any anti-depressants? Many of them cause this.

Good luck and hope you feel better,
  6. loto

loto Member

i used to get the strange feelings, mine felt like an "electric" current. at the time I was seeing a chiropractor for my neck problems. I have bulging disc and degenerative disc disease at c5 c6. My chiropractor told me the sensations were probably due to the nerves "waking" back up from my neck being out of alignment. That's what I was told!
  7. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

my Mother in law got in a bad accident & her head went thru the windshield. she had some neck damage, but you can imagine what it did to her forehead!! i think she had over 200 stitches in her forehead, and had to have some plastic surgery. to make a long story short, she had those same Zingers your talking about, when she asked the doc about it, he told her it was the nerves kinda re routing themselves & healing. Maybe thats whats going on with you, the nerves may have been damaged during surgery..... Just a thought.