Strange Sensation in Arms at Nighttime

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Neicee99, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Neicee99

Neicee99 New Member

Hi Everyone,
    It is 4:10am here in New Hampshire and I have yet been able to sleep,like a few others of you. I am having these strange feelings in my arms and legs that feel like I have to tighten my muscles repeatedly. I know it sounds bizarre but I cannot lay in bed becase it is an uncomfortable symptom and I have to move around. I took an Ambien about 4 hours ago and it did nothing. I just took a Lexapro hoping it would relax my muscles enough to calm them down.

Does anyone else out there have these types of symtpoms and if so, what can I do for them?

Hugs
    Neicee
  2. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

I always had that...actually all day....and the tensing of my jaw as well as body, but it was much more obvious at night because you are just focusing on resting. I would try to relax...head to toe..then the next thing i knew i was tight again! I have been taking Valium now and it really helps!!! gentle hugs
  3. GLASTETTER

GLASTETTER New Member

NEICEE
    I CAN ALMOST GUANTEE THAT RESTLESS LEG IS WHAT YOU HAVE, IT CAN AFFECT YOU ARMS ALSO AND IF IT GETS BAD ENOUGH YOU WILL HAVE THOSE SENSATIONS DURING THE DAY
    I HAD BEEN KLONIPIN FOR FIVE YEARS AND IT RESENTLY HAS GOTTEN WORSE SO I STARTED ON REQUIP LAST WEEK AND IT IS ESPECIALLY FOR RL. I HAVE BEEN MUCH BETTER ACORDING TO MY HUSBAND I HAVE BEEN KICKING HIM LATELY. SO I WOULD TALK TO THE DOC WHEN YOU HAVE ANOTHER APPT

GENTLE HUGS
    BARBARA
  4. Abednego

Abednego New Member

--Sounds a lot like what I go through with my arms and legs when the coastal fog comes in and as described in my two previous posts about fibromyalgia and fog. I get some relief from oxycontin and vicodin HP but have to wait until they kick in, which cn be agonizing. Some varieties of medical cannabis help; I can get some immediate relief but rarely total relief this way--cannabis plus half a vicodin is usually the quickest decent relief for me. I often feel lke I need to get down on the floor and do violent Yoga stretching--not the way it's usually done--and I frequently do, or else I hang upside down on a crunch bench or get my wife to massage me violently. At these times my muscles are all shrunk down into knots. It's really pretty awful and no doctors have been able to provide even the foggiest picture of what's going on!! I'm considering moving to the Amazon or someplace as far away from that weather as I can get. My nights are often sleepless hell!
  5. kriket

kriket New Member

REQUIP- My mother has restless legs syndrome and she takes requip. It stops the restless needing to stretch feeling.

Kriket
  6. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

They do seem to help me somewhat. I take 500-750 mg of magnesium oxide per day, spaced out at even intervals, one right before bed.

I also take xanax as needed or occasionally klonopin if my legs get really bad. I'm supposed to take the klonopin on a regular basis, but it makes me too tired and headachey. Many people here take it regularly with good results.
  7. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

That sounds like me. Turned out to be Restless leg/arms. Doctor put me on qiunine tablets as they have less side effects than the Requip. It has worked wonders. I take it every night before I go to bed about 1 hour before to give it time to work on me. Then when I get into bed I fall asleep with out the twitching and odd feeling.
  8. saladdodger

saladdodger New Member

sometimes i get that and i just run around and around and around and around in these concentric circles and then i go back to bed and then sometimes i wet the bed and squirm around in it. i cant help it. it sounds ridiculous but i think that some of it might be psychological.
    last night i thought of attatching some kind of giant pencil to myself to see if there were any prominent messages. i didnt find a big enough pencil though so i just sat and cried and ate this huge pie.
  9. purplepooh

purplepooh New Member

I was give this this month and it works my husband is sleeping now.LOL
    he would get up me up because i would be kicking them.

Ask your doctor if it right for you.

good luck!

melissa
  10. Neicee99

Neicee99 New Member

Thanks so much for your reply. I see my doctor, well, one of them, and I will discuss it with him. I hope you had a nice labor day weekend.

Hugs
    Neicee
  11. Neicee99

Neicee99 New Member

so much for your reply. I take vicodin for pain for other things and I thought that would help tire me out but no such luck. I take nortriptyline(sp?) which seems to do nothing for me as well. I see my doc next week and I will be sure to discuss it with him.

Hugs
    Neicee
  12. Neicee99

Neicee99 New Member

Thanks for your reply. I will read about RSL tonight when I am done replying to everyone. I get this only occasionally, thank goodness. Is RSL something that occurs routinely.

Seeing my doc next week.

Hugs
    Neicee
  13. Neicee99

Neicee99 New Member

with the sleepless nights. I am going on my third night of going to bed at 3 or 4:00am and it truly is bugging the heck out of me. I hate what this disease, and my others, have done to me, like everyone else. Trying to catch a break is something I look forward to.

I see my rheumy next week and I will talk to him about it.

Hugs
    Neicee
  14. Neicee99

Neicee99 New Member

Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to talk to my rheumy about it next week.

Hope you had a nice holiday weekend.

Hugs
    Neicee
  15. Neicee99

Neicee99 New Member

I will mention kalonipin to my rheumy next week, as well as the RLS. I am tired of new things popping up but if they can help it and I can sleep, I will accept it.

Hugs
    Neicee
  16. Neicee99

Neicee99 New Member

by RLS everyday? The symptoms I described in my posting I only have occasionally. Is that possible or does RLS rear it's ugly head more often.

Thanks for your earlier reply
    Hugs
    Neicee
  17. Neicee99

Neicee99 New Member

I will ask my doctor about RLS and see what he says. I hate taking more medication but sleep is when our body repairs itself and if I cannot get any, then I cannot be fixed.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Hugs
    Neicee
  18. joanng

joanng New Member

My RLS only bothers me once in awhile and I take Mirapex for it. I've taken quinine too and that helped. I get it in my arms and back sometimes and it drives you crazy.