Strange sensations in face and jaw

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by dorabella, Nov 23, 2005.

1. dorabella

dorabella New Member

I think I'm either going mad or have developed some sort of nervous tick...

Last night I was sitting down after dinner and felt a kind of pulsing sensation in the tip of my chin - as if a muscle was jerking around. This morning it has stopped - to be replaced by a crawling feeling in my lower lip and around the sides of my mouth.

My face feels tight like a drum and the underside of my right jaw is sore as if someone had given me a good punching during the night.

Is this TMJ or am I just turning into a nervous wreck. I could SCREEEEAAAMMMM!!
  2. dorabella

dorabella New Member

Bump - anyone??
  3. dorabella

dorabella New Member

Yes - I am a clencher. I've woken up some mornings with my teeth aching from the pressure I've subjected them to.

Just never had funny sensations like these before.

Well at least I know I'm not going mad.

Thanks

4. DRSter

DRSter New Member

I am fairly new with FM but mine started in the jaw/ear area as well as the one side of my face. I've since had symptoms all over that come and go, but that was the worst.

I also had jaw pain that felt like it was right in the joint, that was accompanied by a feeling of pressure in the ears themselves. At times the numbness in the one side of my face felt like it went into my gums slightly inside my mouth.

I hope you have none of theses additional symptoms.
    Just thought I would give you anothers experiences.

Take Care!
  5. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi Dorabella

Sounds like it could be TMJ. I have this condition along with the fibro. I get the same sensations as well. I used to tell friends and family that it feels like someone socked me in the jaws throughout the night.

I wear a night gurard which I tend to chew down quite often. I also do exercises for the face and neck in the morning. Magnesium and no gum chewing has helped. Of course, you don't know if what you have is TMJ or not, but if it is, there is a lot you can do to control pain. As far as the crawling feeling goes, just ignore it, I haven't figured out anything for that either. Hugs, Chelz.
  6. dorabella

dorabella New Member

Thanks for all your replies.

yes I do get pains in the ears, blocked up ears (as if I've just been in an aeroplane taking off) odd pains in the jaw joint under the ear, aching teeth etc.

It probably is TMJ of sorts - with this diagnosis there's always some new symptom to surprise us.

I just don't like constant surprises!!!

7. sues1

sues1 New Member

I get a tingling often also.....like from a mild electrical source. My lips even. Side of my face, etc. Also feels like what it feels like after yu have hit your crazy bone.

That will last a few days and go away and return another time....

We have such odd problems don't we?
  8. june-bug

june-bug New Member

Out of all of my fibro symptoms it is the facial tinglies, and muscle pulsing that bug me the worst. Funny, they dont really hurt like the achey muscles but they are frightening. Does any one get them around their forehead and eyes?? I have TMJ also but they dont feel like their from the TMJ for some reason. Actually they do hurt every once in a while the face sensations are hot and burning or stabbing. Let me know if any of you find something besides neurontin that helps this.
    Angelina (June-Bug)
  9. MOMSIX

MOMSIX New Member

I get the same sensations, thought I was going nuts too. My Doc said that it is a part of the FM as well as full TMJ. But I noticed that mine only does this in times of increased stress or days with poor sleep. It's not constant but like a flare up and when it happens I know I need to take a time-out
  10. DRSter

DRSter New Member

About your forehead and eyes. Yes I also had symptoms up their. Did yours feel as though your eyelids were extremely heavy and there was a feeling of pressure in your forehead as well as other places in the face?
  11. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

to the dentist and have a night guard made up to help aleviate some of the pain of clenching they may help you. i have had patients that swear by it and if they don't have it in at night they feel it the next day...

you have little tendons attached to your teeth and when we clench like that we are basically spraining them....and in some cases the long term wear and tear of clenching cause teet to break....

go to the dentist if you can afford it or find a community clinic or go to a university dental school....they can help you w/a splint...you can also wear them during the day like some people clench thier teeth when they are driving and don't realize it until after the jaw hurt and a headache....

good luck

jodie