Strange sights...sounds

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by Misfit101, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I keep hearing and seeing things. The other night i kept seeing the blinking of a firefly. No one else saw it. And ive heard someone knocking at the door but no one is there. Last nite i kept hearing the sound of an office phone ringing. It would ring twice and stop. Ring again in 30 seconds to a minute later. I swear i sound like a crazy person!
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I would be concerned about these symptoms. This could be neurological.

I take it this is something new? Have you had any changes in meds. supplements, OTC drugs? Do you have tinnitus?

Do any of these things happen while you are asleep?

I would talk to your PCP about getting a neurological consult. The sooner the better.
    Good luck.

gap
    [This Message was Edited on 06/11/2010]
  3. munch1958

munch1958 Member

including auditory and visual hallucinations.

Many people find that Lyme treatment will cause these symptoms to go away. I used to hear very soft music and thought someone left a radio playing on low somewhere in the house. I drove everyone crazy trying to find that radio.

No doubt about it. -- Hearing and seeing things will make one question their sanity. Know that you are not alone with this Misfit 101. Google auditory hallucinations & Lyme -- there are quite a few medical journal articles:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/459205_3

Cognitive effects of Bb:

http://www.canlyme.com/cog.html

Author Amy Tan's experience with visual hallucinations:

http://www.personalconsult.com/articles/amytanadvancedlyme.html

This is why many therapists will refer patients who are told "it's all in your head" back to the doctors who order therapy. This was true in my case. My doctor was told by the therapist that I was sent to (after a tick bite in 2001) that I had a physical illness not a mental one.
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

Munch is right, so is GaP. I would tell your doctor, let her make a referral to a neuro. I know you're strapped for $$, but... sometimes you need to rule out things just to make sure. Has she found an LLMD to work with/mentor under?

It can be quite disconcerting I know. My son while taking a certain abx at one point had so many 'floaters' filling up his eyes, he couldn't drive for a while, said even lights looked different... everybody has different 'experiences'. Too close to the jimi Hendrix kind unfortunately sometimes...
  5. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Im too afraid to tell her. I figured its related to the lyme. And shes not taking it as seriously as i am. Was told to call at the end of the wk last wk just to have the nurse tell me the doctor hadnt done anything yet. No way am i telling her about those symptoms yet. The last thing i need is her thinking its all in my head. Im rapidly losing patience. I take it back...im out of patience but cant afford to have her dismiss me as a patient. If i wasnt so dependent on her treating my back problems itd be a way different story.
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

I understand your hesitation, but please, if it continues or worsens, you "might should" consider telling her. I hope she gets back to you tomorrow or Tues....

7. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I made my mind up that if i havent heard anything by tues then im making another appt and she can get the lesser amt that medicaid pays instead of what someone else with good ins pays for the 15 mins. Im very disappointed but not surprised. It seems about standard for GPs unfortunately. And the whole thing really ticks me off. There are too many sick ppl for them to not be taking this seriously. Its just WRONG.