Strange Smell/taste

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrsgroove, Sep 18, 2006.

1. mrsgroove

mrsgroove New Member

Hi!

New here and recently diagnosed with Fibro. I am wondering if anyone has experienced changes with their sense of smell and/or taste?

I get a metallic or sometimes peppery taste in my mouth and a sense of smell like something is burning although no one else can smell it. I also find that my nose is extremely sensitive.....I smell everything and it is almost to the point of being annoying. Sometimes I would like to turn it off!

Any tips for contolling these weird tastes and smells?

Thanks in advance!!
  2. ckenn

ckenn New Member

I'm so glad that I found this thread!
    I often smell strange things that no one else can smell, particularly the scent of bananas. It's driving me crazy because it feels so real and it doesn't feel like a craving.
    If this is a symptom I would like to know, as I would very much like for this to be explained!
  3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

When my candida is active. It took me a long time to figure this out.

A while ago I did have the strange banana smell. It went away, but I never did figure out what that was about!
  4. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

I smell things allthe time like burning things and metal taste off and on . I have anxiety also and my kids just tell me I am being parinoid there is no fire so relax then they laugh at me and say mom is loosing it kidding of coure a bunch of jokesters they are and i am the funniest thing they have seen to pick on.

have to laugh myself because some of the things I do is funny to me too.

5. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

Taste is normal, but I have times when I smell things that apparently are not there -- like a bad stale smoke smell which no one else can smell at all. Drives me nuts.
  6. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

Yes I get the burning smell all the time. Also get a strange smell like I've got a sinus infection, but I don't think it's an infection, because it goes away without meds, but when I get it, it'll last a week or more.

I used to think that the burning smell was my house, but then I started noticing that I'd have it when I was other places. It doesn't matter where I am, I notice it.

Barb

7. mrsgroove

mrsgroove New Member

Hello again,

Thanks to all for responding to this post. It is nice to know that I am not crazy after all!! My doctor is wonderful, but, just looks at me like I am a nut when I try to explain the taste/smell thing.

Thank you again!!
  8. janferg

janferg New Member

Hi Mrsgroove,

You are the first person I have ever heard talk about this, I just thought it was me, I have been telling my boyfriend and other family members that I can smell smoke, like someone is blowing smoke in my nose, and the metal taste, I have had that for years, sometimes my fingers would even get a gray ring around them like I had metal on them.
    But yes it does seem to affect our senses, when I cook now almost everynite during my cooking I will feel like I am going to get sick, maybe the smells...

I am learning so much from this site everyday...

Take care,
    Thanks,
    Jan
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2006]
  9. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

A metallic taste can mean your body has a heavy load of toxins, including heavy metals. That happened to me before and I was told that I was toxic, toxins were circulating in my system. I did a detox for heavy metals through my chiropractor who does muscle testing, and it helped.

Mary
  10. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Those were two of the first things I noticed when I got full blown multiple chemical sensitivities. When I used a little bit of chlorox clean up it smelled like flowers. I think the stick air freshener in my bedroom threw my hypothalmus out of whack.
  11. brella

brella New Member

I also randomly have the taste of metal in my mouth. so weird
  12. JMeagher

JMeagher New Member

Hi - I have had CFS for four years and have had a metallic taste on and off. It's nice to know I am not alone and I think it is due to toxins particularly heavy metals.

I am having some treatment - basically lymphatic drainage but specific to CFS/ME. I am in the UK and the website is
    http://www.theperrinclinic.com/about.aspx

I have been having treatment for 1 year today ! and have been doing really well. I have exercises that I have to do 3 times each day but I am now scored 8 out of 10 having started at 5.5 out of 10. It takes around 2 months to move up 0.5 each time.

Hope this is of help to some. Sadly, it is nt available on the UK's National Health Service so I am paying privately but it is worth it.
  13. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

i had taste/smell issues also!
    Good idea to check body for copper/mercury/etc overload.
    FYI.....it could also be an early sign of pregnancy in some woman. just a thought.
  14. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

I have no idea what the Metel tast in my mouth is. Once in a while it comes on really stong. So I brush my teath and rinse with mouth-wash and usually its gone. Sometimes I have to do this twice. I thought it might has something to do with my Acid Reflex, I'm not sure.

The burning smell, I walk around the house and check everything. The whole kitchen, all the plugs around the house, bathrooms, fire alarm, closets, patio. I open the front door and see if the fire engines are here or anything. I walk down the hall a little bit and I see nothing.

Know I make sure that I have my keys and cell phone in my hand and that I am properly dressed. I got locked out of my house once before and believe me it was not fun. I know who was home and they wouldn't even open the door and one guy opened the door and I started to explain what happened and shut the door on my face Finally, one of my neighbors came home from work at 8 p.m. and he let me use his cell phone to call the local lock-smith. It was not fun. None of my neibors would help me and I already was ready for bed... ya know what I mean - how embarrising when the lock smith finally came, 2 hours later at 10 p.m. and $150 later. Good thing I had the money, it was actually for a bill to be paid but.....

Please don't take this the wrong way: I'm very sorry for everyone who is experiencing these varies symptoms of smells and taste, but I am really happy that I am not alone in this.

Also, sorry that this message is so long, I just got carried away. It's already 4:30 a.m. here in Florida and I have no idea what in the world I'm still doing up. You wouldn't believe the "NORMAL" people are up and out walking the beach and going out breakfast. Well, my heads going to hit the pillow and I'm going out like a light until Social Security calls me.

Social Security will be calling me today at 9 a.m., yes on a Saturday because they are so far behind, and they are going to do my interview for continuation of Disability Benefits. I'm a nervous reck but I shoudn't be, but I am. I have nothing to hide and I always tell the truth.

I'm all done typing. My hands, neck, back and totally killing me in pain and I am exhausted. I hope I hear the phone ring and I also set my alarm clock for 8:30 a.m.

Eileen

[This Message was Edited on 09/23/2006]
  15. mrsgroove

mrsgroove New Member

Again,

You all have no idea how happy I am to hear that it isn't just "all in my head".

Someone mentioned that it could be related to pregnancy. I know that this is not the case as I have been experiencing this for over a year now. It is also not hormone related as I have tracked it with my cycle. I think it is simply a random occurance that I will have to learn to live with.

Thank you again for your responses.
  16. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

at least you are not alone!

I don't get strange smells cuz my nose is too stuffed up to smell anything!!

but I did have a gross bout with metallic taste when I took enzyme supplements. they made everything taste gross and metallic.