Strange Smells

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by katiebug61, Jul 7, 2008.

1. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

Does anyone notice strange smells that aren't really there? I work in a free standing smoke free office. The last couple of weeks, I smell cigarette smoke and no one smokes. I will even smell it at home and absolutely NO one at my house smokes and we live on 1 acre lots in the country. I am just wondering if it is me, or if other FM folks have similiar problems.
  2. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Some can be indicative of variuos illnesses. You might try Googling some questions about this or the subject.
  3. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

a few years ago.

SMOKE, as in dirty-old-ashtrays was a constant companion. I didn't (don't) smoke either, nor did anyone in my home...and I smelled it EVERYWHERE! Totally annoying. It lasted many months but finally went away. It is a PHANTOM smell (not really there). You can google it that way and may learn more.

About a year after the smoke smell, I had several weeks of DEAD RAT smell. This was a week or so after smelling a REAL dead was as if the smell made a memory imprint and stayed in my senses long after truly smelling it. This rat was nowhere around anymore, I would just smell it everywhere.

During that same year I remember that the author Amy Tan discovered that she had lyme disease, and she described one of her first symptoms which was "smelling a dead rat"! He he. I don't think I have lyme, but I think the wiring gets messed up for various reasons, perhaps one of them being lyme.
  4. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

I am super sensitive to all smells. I tell my husband all the time that our house STINKS, but everyone else doesn't smell anything.

Figure it's just the FM, but it's darn annoying!!

INITAHUG New Member

I have the same thing with the smells,If I smell something, and it makes me say OH GOSH,(meaning to me it was really gross, and smelt really bad) I will smell that same smell for about 2 weeks like it burned it in to my memory.

6. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

Okay.. I guess I am not alone and not totally crazy. It is really annoying! I hope I don't get the dead rat smell. I am also very sensitive to perfumes. Anything with musk in it will give me an almost instant headache and BAD headache. Thanks everyone for your responses. I was really starting to freak out. It comes and goes and I can't figure out what triggers it.! This FM board is AWESOME. :)
  7. Vette

Vette New Member

I've been smelling a sweet / nasty smell off and on for several month's now. My Husband can't smell it and neither could my Son when he visited us. I smelled it once when out in my Husband's one year old car, otherwise it's mostly at home. I'm thinking it must be neurological.
    I have a Neuro appointment tomorrow, maybe I'll remember to ask (lol).