Strattera for pain relief????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sirensinger, Sep 22, 2005.

1. sirensinger

sirensinger New Member

I have just been through a terrible reaction to Cymbalta after being diagnosed of myofacial myalgia and Ankylosing Spondyolitis. This reaction made my life where I could not work. Now fighting for disability to exstend and actually be for pain, my fibro doctor just prescribed Strattera??? I am confused and frankly scared of taking an ADHD medication for pain relief. Has anyone else heard of this? Does it work? What are the side effects.
  2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

3. KerryK

KerryK Member

I believe Strattera is a norepenephrine (noradrenaline) reuptake inhibitor, among other things. That gives it the pain relieving properties, much like cymbalta.
  4. sirensinger

sirensinger New Member

Since I sent this out I had the chance to talk to a doctor at Lilly, a couple M.D.'s and a good friend of mine at Dartmouth who is finishing her thesis for medical school. As some of you mentioned, it is a bit freaky to see another med for mental health prescribed for pain but as these folks all tell me, this is similar yet different from Cymbalta as it does not affect Seratonin. In addition, it has less side effects and does have an adjunct function in study across several med schools for neurological pain relief. So for us with neurological disorders from myalgia type muscular disfunction/pain, this may be something to watch for. My results to date, Day 1 1/2 and I do see slight relief with no hyper-activity and a tiny decline in appetite. It made me slightly restless but I did take before bed which was not highly suggested (I just found this out too).
  5. sirensinger

sirensinger New Member

I just wanted to thank you for confirming something I just found out!
  6. sirensinger

sirensinger New Member

look this up and you'll find tons of intersting things about the science behind it. I will most definately keep it posted on how this is working out cause we all could use the help. And weight loss, yeah!
  7. sirensinger

sirensinger New Member

look this up and you'll find tons of intersting things about the science behind it. I will most definately keep it posted on how this is working out cause we all could use the help. And weight loss, yeah!