STRATTERA for pain???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by busybusymom, May 22, 2007.

1. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

My physical medicine doc prescribed Strattera for my myofascial/trigger point pain. He said it was not known how or why, but that some of the ADHD meds seems to help w/this type of pain off label.

Anyone tried or heard of this????

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 05/22/2007</i>]
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

3. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Hi busybusymom,

I've never heard of Strattera being prescribed for pain either, perhaps someone else with more information will come along.

Best wishes,

4. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

Thanks, pvlady, for bumping, and foxglove for responding. I think there are just too many drugs that it is overwhelming!

5. jmq

jmq New Member

would love to hear more about this...
  6. netnut

netnut New Member

is an antidepressant not a stimulant so it would somewhat make sense that a doc would think that it could help with pain. If it does I havent heard about it.

I have actually heard it can cause mood instability in some people so that is something I would watch out for if anyone tries it.
  7. bnowak

bnowak New Member

to add my 2 cents. I was put on strattera for burning skin

pain which felt like sunburn but wasn't. It helped with

this somewhat but what supprised me was that it helped with

my back and neck pain. After a couple of months i had to

increase the dosage to 75mg per day to get the same pain

relief. Then the dreaded "sexual side effects" kicked in.

i resent having to give up one thing in order to treat the

other. But this is the most unfair disease i've ever

8. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

It seems to be similar to Cymbalta in the way it works on the brain chemistry (norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor).
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 11/10/2007</i>]
  9. sillyex

sillyex New Member

hi ;)&lt;BR&gt;
    i had a general medical dr. &amp; my psych dr. suggest i have chronic fatigue syndrome so i was willing to try a low dose (10 mg, the lowest, suggested by my p.doc) of strattera despite being wary of stimulants (i don't experience 'mania' but i've gotten the bi-polar diagnosis, maybe i'm just on the low-end of the spectrum? and i have super low tolerance to meds).&lt;BR&gt;
    i have chronic back pain, recently had a surgery that greatly reduced my pain levels yet still had some muscle cramping and terrible pain in my hips.&lt;BR&gt;
    anyhow, within a day of taking strattera, my hip pain disappeared!?!&lt;BR&gt;
    i think the strattera woke me up enough to move my body around and that sort of 'unlocked' this hip pain that was a result of the original back pain. but, the timing is so close that it's just as likely strattera has some pain relieving properties.&lt;BR&gt;
    ***it'd be great to hear about any experiences in people's pain condition while on strattera!***&lt;BR&gt;
    strattera was originally studied as an anti-depressant, found useless and then found potentially helpful for add... i took cymbalta and it did absolutely nothing for my pain (though it gave me the classic apathy and fatigue i've experienced with every ssri ~fun ... wellbutrin makes me hyper and irritable... )&lt;BR&gt;
    i'm neither anti-med nor anti-dr but i think they're basically throwing darts at our brain chemistry and hoping to hit bulls-eye
  10. KerryK

KerryK Member

Like many other norepinephrine agonist/antagonists strattera is helpful for neurological pain conditions. I had tried it and it worked quite well for pain and energy and sleep! However, I had to quit due to other side effects. Glad to hear of your successs.
  11. sillyex

sillyex New Member

yeah, it was a great short-term. &lt;BR&gt;
    i think the intense fatigue was the result of major burnout... pain, surgery and difficult times for my mental health.&lt;BR&gt;
    ideally, time and not a med would've taken care of this but...&lt;BR&gt;
    i have issues with major depression (depressed can = danger/suicidal level if not managed).&lt;BR&gt;
    so, the strattera helped me wake-up which gave me the energy to manage depression.&lt;BR&gt;
    but i had to stop taking cause it went from awake during day to not being able to sleep more than a few hours a night!&lt;BR&gt;
    there was some tummy trouble too but that may have been ok if i had changed diet a bit.&lt;BR&gt;