Strattera??????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shazzy, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi all,

One of you talked about taking strattera which cured her dizziness.
    I asked my dr about it yesterday and he said he never heard of it.
    Does it have a differant name here in the uk or just not licensed in this country.

Thanks
    Shazzy
  2. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Bumping up
  3. AnnG

AnnG New Member

Strattera is a brand new drug for ADHD (attention defecit disorder). They tried it on my son and he was so exhausted and lethargic he couldn't function so he is back to adderall. Hope this helps.
  4. Sweetmia

Sweetmia New Member

I take Strattera--80 mgs a day. It is made by Eli Lilly in Indianapolis, Indiana (where I live). Its effectiveness is that it keeps norepinephrine in your brain longer. Strattera has not made me sleepy, in fact just the opposite--I feel energized and most importantly very happy!! Do an internet search for addditional info.
    Take care, Amy
  5. DLBRPAC

DLBRPAC New Member

Shazzy-
    Strattera is probably marketed under a different brand name in the UK, but the generic name is atomoxetine. If your doctor still can't find it, tell him it is a "norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor."
    -David
  6. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi,

Does that mean it is a anti-depressant of some kind.

Every time i go to my gp with what i read or heard he always dismisses it with some sort of reason.

shazzy
  7. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi Again,

Can you tell me what is attension defecit disorder is exactly?

shazzy
  8. Sweetmia

Sweetmia New Member

Norepinephrine is a neurotransmitter that keeps one alert, and focused. This is why it is helpful for people with ADD. ADD causes one to have difficulty focusing and concentrating. Many of the anti-depressants also involve
    maintaining norepinephrine in the brain. Hope this helps.

9. sb439

sb439 New Member

... (and I read the entire Strattera brochure) it is not classified anywhere as an antidepressant.
    Susanne
  10. sujay

sujay New Member

It's my understanding that Strattera was designed specifically to address ADD/ADHD. That bing said, I have to report that I've seen a lot of ADD/ADHD over the years, both in my practice and in my own family, and I have been struck by how much the brain fog that plagues people with MD/CFS/FMS resembles an ACQUIRED ADD/ADHD. I don't know if any neuropsychologists out there have made the same connections, but it would be interesting to check it out - some day when I have more energy. Both conditions seem to involve reduced blood flow to some parts of the brain. Anyone whose read any of my other posts can probably guess where I'm going from here...