Strep as a child, growing pains, antibiotic issues?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I am curious about something, as a child I had strep throat infections all the time, I had what the doctors call "growing pains" and antibiotic sensitivities like crazy.

I think this was the beginning of my FM as a child. I don't believe in "growing pains" that was such a cop out as far as I am concerned that doctors loved to toss those words around. It should never hurt to "grow" and if that is the case, then wouldn't everyone have growing pains?

I was sickly, had my tonsils out at the age of 9, but then had those stupid growing pains, which went away for a few years, then came back with a vengence in my late teens and early 20's. I really do believe this was FM in the making.

Was anyone else so sick as a child? I had to repeat the first grade because I missed so much school, couldn't pay attention because of constant fevers and being run down, which seems so unusual for a child.

When I was diagnosed with FM (after being called a hypochondriac for over 25 years ) the doctor told me I had 14 tender points, and I only needed 11 for a FM diagnosis.

I wonder how many of us, as children, were sick a lot, told we just wanted attention, was told we were hypochondriacs, can you even imagine calling an 11 year old child a hypochondriac?

I wonder how much depression and anxiety was caused by all this negativity regarding our health as children? How much it influences how we think and live right now as adults?

I know we can't go back and erase our childhood as far as our helath goes, but I do wonder how these experiences shaped us as now in our lives. Just food for thought I guess. What do you think? Hugs to all, Chelz.
  2. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi Chelz!

I too was sick a lot from the age of 9. I had stomache aches and was achy a lot then and was dx'd with an ulcer at age 12. Looking back I don't think it was an ulcer, I think it was IBS that was finally dx'd at age 39!! I also went through a period in my 20's when I had strep throat a lot and was tired all the time. I remember sleeping 10 -12 hours a nite on the weekends when I was in my teens! Wow, I guess I never really thought about it that much until I read your post. We both probably had fibro that started as a child!

I had endometriosis 3 times in my 30's and 40's and had surgery every time. Now that I think about it I always had alcohol sensitivities too. My friends who would drink the same as me would never get hangovers and I would get terrible ones after 2-3 drinks! I am so happy that I can't drink at all since going on AD's because my Dad was a major alcoholic! You are really making me think here! I think I was depressed on and off since I was like 12 years old and also worried a lot.

My paresnt always blamed my sicknesses on just wanting attention and being a hypochondriac too. Thank God when I really got sick with the CFS they knew it was real and after I was dx'd with fibro they really believed it because my sister has both of them too! I was also just recently (in April) dx'd with Bipolar II and that really woke everyone up. No wonder you were always up and down all of your life they said! I am doing much better now that I have been off work for almost 6 months. Now that I can get enough sleep, take better care of myself and am taking a lot of supps. I have also been swimming and doing a lot of low impact exercises and stretching. I just started taking a Fish Oil supplement for about a month and my fibro-fog is much better,it really works!

Are you still working Chelz? I hope you don't have to work anymore so that you are able to get better in time. It has made a significant difference for me Thank God! I am also doing a lot of researching on more holistic ways and eating better now that I am not working and have a chance to take care of ME for a change! I would love to hear how you are doing! Thanks for such a great post. I think it will make a lot of people here stop feeling guilty about being sick and tired if they were sick most of our lives! It certainly is not our fault! If only all of our friends and family could understand better,right? Well, take care of YOU and I look forward to reading the replies you get!

Peace and Comfort, Julie

3. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

I was curious about that myself not long ago.... I had strep AT LEAST 2x a year til I was in

my 20s... never had my tonsils out though... and had terrible growing pains... I remember

rocking in bed rubbing my legs when I was 9-10 years old...

so yes.. I DO believe it has something to do with it.... HOWEVER... My FM was brought on by

Stress overload (mother was hurt in accident that left her brain damaged when I was only 12,

then years later after caring for her 20+ years she passed, then dad died...rough

childhood) ... maybe it was always there though... I was always a sick, nervous kid....

4. simonedb

simonedb Member

I had strep a lot as a kid and then mono as a teen/young adult several times, but in some ways was hearty and healthy, could bounce back from things until I couldn't at age 29, the beginning of real cfs/fm after a surgery.

I have been thinking lately how its so sexist to dismiss women as hypochondriacs, and inhumane to the men who have this stuff, because if one truly doesnt feel well it makes sense to me we would be somewhat fixated on trying to figure it out or get nervous from it,like a type of ptsd. I want to do some sort of activism against the whole concept of hypochondria, throw in negative effect of vaccines in there as well cornucopia of reasons to feel rotten.

Something else dawned on me recently, you know how now they advise against aspirin for children due to reye syndrome? Well what about those of us who were given that in the 50s or 60s (I was born in 60 and remember being given children's aspirin when I was sick) there may be some neuro long term effects from that, but hard to prove if not extreme. But I wonder if my alcohol sensitivity I had since teen could have been MCS due in part of mild reye syndrome, some of the effects of it are fatty liver, which I have now, and causes hypoglycemia which was identified in me 30 years ago in college, reye syndrome effects the brain and liver. When I was really sick as kid with flu or fever if they gave me aspirin and then got sicker they could have just attributed it to the bug and not realized at the time the aspirin was making things worse, it can cause brain swelling, whose to know what long term effect it had if it wasnt identified at the time, if it didnt almost kill you at the time it may have gone undetected. but it could have caused then ad/d or slower learning that was then attributed to other things and not connected to the aspirin, I am thinking it could have triggered the beginning of multiple chemical sensitivity, the intolerance to salicylates/aspirin that kids could have . It seems like there is no easy way to explore this after the fact as an adult, and if you bring it up to physician run risk of being judged as a worrier etc Bizarro world we live in where they like to blame the victim.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2011]
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I also had "growing pains." I always thought I was a robust, healthy child but in hindsight, there were omens of things to come. I had ADHD but no one knew what it was then. I would get viruses and would be very sick with them, including having hallucinations. At age 14, I got very tired and started to put on weight. I had a thyroid test which showed hypothyroidism. My doc put me on thyroid hormone and thing went back to "normal."

I've always had a hard time with chattering noises, static, harsh sounds, etc. I also developed bad allergies in my 20's which eventually turned to asthma. In my 20's, I had a lot of hip and thigh pain which one doc attributed to arthritis.

Like so many of us, I didn't connect the dots until I had full-blown FMS, following full-blown CFIDS/ME. I now know my Mom had FMS. Both my daughters have it as well. We think my grandmother had it too just from oral history of what she went through. We watch my grandson for signs of FMS but so far, he appears to be healthy except for not always being able to focus. A couple of my cousins have had fairly serious immune problems for which the docs have no explanation. They seem to be different than our FMS but I'll bet there is a connection.

Love, Mikie
  6. kch64

kch64 New Member

I'm happy you're still around! Good news. Thanks for posting. It was uplifting. I hope you are feeling better now than when you were younger.
  7. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I had lots of ear infections when I was young and took antibiotics (which I think messed up my GI system in my adolescence and teen years) ... and I think I have always had a sensitive body and nervous system.

Recent research is turning attention to how fibro and other pain issues are largely based in a messed up pain loop in our nervous system ... our brain becomes sensitized to pain overtime, which broadens it's impact and can actually take over other areas of our brain that are supposed to be used for language, emotional regulation, etc.

So it would make sense to me that a lot of us had sensitive bodies all along, and triggered by different things, we have a similar set of issues because our bodies and brains are overloaded by pain signals and everything else.