Stress Degrades Our DNA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I watched a program and can't remember which one, Primetime, 60 Minutes, or 20/20. They put people under stressful situations and followed up with questions about how stressed they felt.

Then, they looked at chromosomes and found that the ends of them had come unraveled in those with the most stress. The result is that ongoing stress can age a person prematurely. They said it can add 10 years to a person's age. The effect can be similar to genetic illnesses which prematurely age the body.

It is vital to find ways to cope with whatever stress we cannot eliminate in our lives. For those of us with chronic illness, it is even more vital that we learn how to rid our lives of stress.

We have long suspected that stress is very detrimental to our health and recovery, but this is concrete evidence of the damage that stress causes in our bodies.

Love, Mikie

2. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

I got rid of all the stress in my life and now I am getting worse and I don't know why. It is so frustrating for that to happen, my doctor says it is because my body has now wound down and is no longer adrenalin fuelled.

Hopefully the supps that I am going to start taking will start to repair the damage that the DD and stress has done.

There is another post going that asks about stress before our illnesses, a lot of us had a lot of stress prior to this DD.

Anyway thank you for the info,
    Love, Sue.

3. BluEyes

BluEyes New Member

I saw that program also, and (also) don't remember which one it was. I watched it with my daughter, and turned to her to discuss it as I see her stress about things she cannot change or fix. Well, bless her heart, she has now gone on a campaign to prevent ME from exposure to any stressors... including even getting up to refill my water ("Sit down and relax mom, I'll get it").

I love her dearly, but am glad that school started again today... so I CAN relax without her bustling around and waiting on me! If only I could show her how much a teenager's room can stress a mother! heheheee.

Thanks for the info Mikie - I believe that stress, if not the cause, is certainly a factor that contributes to this DD, and makes flare ups, and daily life in general, worse. We all need to learn to take a deep breath, and recite the serenity prayer several times a day!

gentle hugs to all,
    Brenda
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That while we are in the stressful situation, we are running on the adrenalin and in denial. We just keep pushing ourselves. It may be only when we slow down that the effects of the stress are more noticible to us.

Love, Mikie