Stress=FM Pain???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Nov 16, 2005.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been brought up before however can't find the threads.

When I get emotionally stressed, it seems like I wake up the next day with FM pain and my asthma stirs up. Is there really a connection to this? Please post.

Thanks in advance,
    T
  2. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I think there is a connection. I've been told by my doctors too that the more stress you are under the more pain. What I find intresting at least for me is that during the stressful time there is no increase of pain. It is only after I have let my body relax that the pain increases. I keep telling my doctor stress is good otherwise I would be hurting a lot more then I already am. lol.
  3. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

I think there is a huge connection. I always say that I hate to take vacation from work because whenever I do and I relax - I get sick. I came back from a week in Florida last Tuesday and have been sick ever since!

-Kathi
  4. Starcat

Starcat New Member

that Stress = FM pain...but I do agree it can make it worse!

I think this is where doctors feel it's all in our heads. Get rid of the stress in our lives and we won't have pain. ya right...

I will agree tho, that when I was first learning about fm and things I could do to help..decreasing or eliminating as much stress in my life as possible..did help abit. But never was the cause.

A connection? IMO..it's just one of the many things on the list to learn how to handle in different ways.

:)cat

5. hehmommy

hehmommy New Member

Yes Stress is a big one for the mental and physically problems we face on a daily basis. Stress can literally kill a person if you let it take over your life. So by trying to find ways to de-stress your life can mean make all the difference in the world. My husband has BiPolar and if he is stressed which he has been it causes his moods to swing so dramatically that he can't even cope. He lands himself in bed and is paralyzed with anxiety. For me I know when stress comes the pain and tiredness gets escalated. I feel like it is all I can do to get up off my rear. I manage still, but when I change my way of thinking it gets better. I think Stress is a biggy for almost everyone on this earth.

Trish :)
  6. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

For me there is a huge connection!! My stress level directly impacts my pain level. My fibro was terrible a year ago. I changed jobs from a job where the environment was terrible and caused me so much stress to one where the environment is 100% better. My fibro has been so much better under controll. My symptoms are much more mild and flares are so much less frequent (now more inline with weather changes). For me anyway, changing to a less stressful work environment, increasing my relaxation with yoga, meditation and diet changes have really done more for me than any meds or supplements have.
  7. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I dont think Stress = FM....

But I definately think stress makes FM worse.

I think there is very few people that have no stress in there life this day and time. So my feeling would be everyone would have FM if it was all from stress....*This make sence?

But, Like I was saying above I really do feel stress can make FM symtons worse. I know for me when I am really stressed-out, I do have more pain and fatigue. But when there is less stress in my life the pain and fatigue is still there. Also sometime's I feel the FM makes me more stressed.

So I do think trying to avoid as much stress as possible is good for us with FM and anyone for that matter. Just eaiser said then done sometimes.

Hugs
    Bluerose

[This Message was Edited on 11/16/2005]
  8. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Oh, I agree 100% that stress doesn't cause fibro. And I still have pain and fatigue.

But for me decreasing the stress in my life and improving my environment has made a huge improvement for me (an overall improvement that is far more measurable than anything I ever achieved with meds).

Chronic stress can cause many health problems, including fatal ones. It is much more than a mental issue - it is extremely physical. So, just because there may be a stress/pain connection shouldn't make anyone think that it is "all in our heads."