stress related flare ups?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by eggshel344, Jan 25, 2006.

1. eggshel344

eggshel344 New Member

Hi all-

I just wanted a blanket opinion from everyone's personal experience, if you had to say on a scale of 1-10 (ten being the most)

how much would you say stress contributes to your flare ups?

And I know this may seem like a silly question, cuz I think it's pretty clear stress contributes, but I do believe that we all respond differently, so I just wanted to see what everyone had to say.
  2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Stress definitely plays a part in it, and I think it can bring on a flare up. Although, we all have some stress as long as we are alive! It's just how we respond to it. And I think there are many other factors besides stress that contribute to flare ups, such as sleep quality, etc.
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

eggshel344:
    My body reacts to stress almost immediately. I flare and hurt like heck and I am in misery for about a week.
    I live a very stress-free life now. i had to set priorities and I avoid anything that will be upsetting.
    Feel better.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  4. MamaR

MamaR New Member

eggshel344,

I would say my experience is 10. I am at the point with this disease that if I get in any tense situation I feel my muscles tighten up and start to spasm. I have to try to avoid anything stress related....which is impossible!
    But, I have to try.

If I am faced with much stress I am in bed for days.

MamaR
  5. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

When I am in a stressful situation, I can feel my muscles tightening and my heart beats faster. A flare comes on me immediately.
  6. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

Hi, all,
    I have had CFS for almost 10 years. I, like others, experience feeling the best when life just goes along in a very uneventful, undemanding way. Prolonged or unusual stress on me coupled with unusual demands on my time or energy send me right into a bad flare with worse muscle pain and terrible feelings of uncontrolled anger and being overwhelmed mentally and wanting to cry. All of this sends me right to bed for days and it takes a long time to regain any feeling of stabilization.

I live with a roommate who is also a teacher and since I retired on medical disability and she still works our life is pretty calm and quiet - just 5 cats to keep us bouncing a little - but for the past two months I have had to rally and take care of my 84 year old dad who is facing health and age-related problems and it ended up causing me to be basically almost bedridden for a week just from the stress and additional demands on what I can do.

So, yes - I would say stress is a key factor in whether we stay on an even keel or go downhill really fast. I would give the effect stress has on flares a 10.
    Harrysmom
    [This Message was Edited on 01/26/2006]
  7. russiankids3

russiankids3 New Member

in relation to my flare ups. It's a big part of my life so I flare-up quite often. Also whenever I get an infection of any kind I usually go into a bout with FM.
    This year I got the flu shot and did I have an awful flare up. Lasted about 2 months.
    I'd say a 10on the scale.
    Take care.
    Sue
  8. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

For me it depends what sort of stress and how long the stress goes on for.
  9. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

I have what I like to call retro-active stress! I will accumulate stress and store it in my body. Then at some point in time serveral weeks down the road I will implode and my body will go into shock and refuse to function on all levels. When this happens I can be bed ridden sometimes for weeks and even months! So stress is a definite contributing factor in my opinion.

Hugs
    Sandy
  10. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

For me, not so much emotional stress as physical stressors --

dental work, vaccinations, etc. will send me into a flare for weeks -- so will something like a move that involves lifting, etc. But I've had flare-free periods during some of the most stressful periods in my life, emotionally speaking...