stress response low or high?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sunspot, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Sunspot

Sunspot New Member

My naturopath today said most people with CFS don't have enough energy to respond to stress... This hasn't been my experience. When I'm in a mildly stressful situation my body responds as if I'm in a full-on, impending doom situation. I thought this was normal for CFS patients as I read that we don't tolerate stress well.

What is it like for other people here?
  2. mom74

mom74 New Member

Every little things seems to set me off I just can't seem to put my finger on it my DR has recently increased an antidpression med i also can't seem to sleep anymore either. I am tired but i just can't sleep. I am so moody and I just don't want to be around anyone.
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Since this CFS or whatever Ihave I can't seem to handle anything. I feel I live in a doom and gloom world.

Even a small thing like a doctors appointment or any appointments stresses me. I am just not normal and feel I am having a nervous breakdown.

If I can just stay in my room when i feel this way and not be bothered it helps so much and then maybe that is the worst thing I can do.

I have upped my medicine also.

God Bless,
  4. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

yes with CFS it is best to de stress your life as much as poss. and learn to not make yourself feel guilty because you can not do some things anymore ,
    I to get stressed very easy anymore

Best wishes
  5. Sunspot

Sunspot New Member

Thanks to those who replied. I've been remembering that I've also read that there are theories that the HPA (hypothalmic-pituitary-adrenal -- or something like that) axis is kind of stuck 'on' in CFS patients, so our bodies are always over-reacting to stress. I'll have to mention that to my naturopath.

And I'm under a lot of stress right now because LTD cut me off and I'm having trouble finding a roommate to share the rent, and also having to go over all the correspondence between me and LTD before the appeal, which is bringing up LOTs of emotions!

However there are some things that help.
    A friend just tried some GABA (something you get at a health food store) and said she hasn't felt so calm and relaxed in ages.

A lot of people find Rescue Remedy helpful.

There is quite a good list of homeopathic remedies for anxiety at You just have to figure out which one sounds most like your symptoms. Then you take two pellets once or twice a day for several days, until you feel good. Then stop using it until you need it again.

And a herb called ashwagandha was helping me quite a bit with daily anxiety. It's an adaptogenic, meaning it helps the body adapt to stress.

Also the naturopath just gave me a couple of homeopathic remedies that really helped, at least for the short term. One was for feeling persecuted (and I do feel picked on by the insurance company!) and one was for