Stress test

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by eeyore, Sep 11, 2002.

1. eeyore

eeyore New Member

Hi Everyone,

Tomorrow I have to go for a stress test, I thought I just had to do the treadmill and now I found out I have to have the IV injection. Does anyone know if there is any side effects from the IV? Thanks for any response.
  2. eeyore

eeyore New Member

Hi Everyone,

Tomorrow I have to go for a stress test, I thought I just had to do the treadmill and now I found out I have to have the IV injection. Does anyone know if there is any side effects from the IV? Thanks for any response.
  3. Grams

Grams New Member

Hi eeyore, I had a nuclear stress test last month. It included both the treadmill and two IV injections of radioactive contrast.

Sometimes, if a person is not able to tolerate the treadmill, IV medication will be used instead to stimulate the heart to the desired heartrate. Do you know if you are having the nuclear test or the treadmill type only? I can elaborate on the nuclear if you want.

I had no problems related to the IV meds or the treadmill. The biggest challenge was lying on that very hard xray table with my left arm over my head for about 30 minutes, no pillows either. Had to do that twice. I've had shoulder surgery on that side, and also a cervical spinal fusion. Positioning on the table was the worst part.

Gentle hugs and blessings...

4. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

Hi Eeyore

Since 1996, I've had the Nuclear Stress Test 3 times. My resting heart rate is about 110 & my blood pressure is normally around 160/100.

It's a "Piece of Cake" between a regular stress test and a nuclear one. My only complaint was trying to lay still after the "Dye" was injected. Just the thought of having to 'Lay Still' made me "unconfortable".

Same feeling as having MRIS'. I felt no discomfort from the IV injection.

5. selma

selma New Member

Worry is wasted on this test.

Smile pretty for the pictures.

Love, Selma
  6. Toumai

Toumai New Member

Spend 15 minutes with my kids and you will have all the stress you want! From grilled cheese sandwhiches in the VCR to plastic soldiers imbedded in the nasel cavity, those kids can cause serious stress.

From the sounds of it, you have nothing to worry about. I do have a question, what is a stress test for?

lise

7. eeyore

eeyore New Member

I just return from my stress test you all were right a piece of cake.

Lise, I had to have the test because a slight change in my last ekg. I'm sure it will be fine. thanks for asking.
    Denise
  8. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

Glad to hear your stress test went well..
    Did you have the nuclear IV injection OR the IVP Dye as they call it (the one that makes your body feel warm) it's actually an iodine dye..
    Take Care......God Bless.........Donna
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I exercise daily until I'm dripping, but I had a hard time with the nuclear stress test, and was only able to last for seven minutes. My 78 yr. old MIL lasted longer than that! I had nausea and felt like I was about to pass out. They took the speed right up to the top with no warm up, and I cannot handle that. I explained to the doctor that I have a lot of brain damage and my brain needs plenty of warning if I change activities, but he ignored me and cranked that baby right up there. My results were normal, but I was angry and will never do that again, esp. after reading many studies saying stress tests are useless for females, and that the incidence of heart attack during the two weeks following the test is dramatically higher. I personally know two people who aced the test and then had heart attacks within two weeks of passing it!
    Klutzo