STRESS what do you think stress really is?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Sep 12, 2006.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I do not think I had the normal stresses that may have caused cfs/fm .So I was wondering if you have any ideas what is really stress ? How could I think all was ok (and it was) but then be told I must have been under stress?
  2. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I totally agree with you.
    I do have really BIG problems with noise ,perfumes and bright lights .Everything you said I can relate to .
    Thank you for your input I do understand much better.

I LOVE THAT PICTURE IN YOUR BIO
    [This Message was Edited on 09/12/2006]
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I find that "stress" for me doesn't just mean a negative situation like an illness or death or what we would normally call a stressor. I can be having a great time but be exhausted afterward.

I think those of us with CFS not only overreact neurologically to stimuli but we become anxious in many otherwise congenial situations due to things like you've mentioned; noise, lighting, and smells as well as having some anxiety about how the illness is going to manifest itself.

When our nervous systems are not functioning properly as in CFS, things stress us that we would not normally consider to be stressful.

When I began working other than for myself and had an 8 - 5, five day a week schedule, I had many days that I thought I just could NOT do it. Then I would tell myself that other people do it every day and that I could too. Now I see that I really could not do it, not without paying a high price. My gut knew the truth but because it seemed wussy to me I didn't listen.

Ooo yeah, cool picture!

Marta

[This Message was Edited on 09/12/2006]
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Stress is not the only theory of what causes FMS or CFIDS. Other theories are a virus or it looks like it can also be genetic. Although he was never officially diagnosed, I believe my dad had FMS. So far I am the only other person in my family who has it, but who knows. There are quite a few people here who have several people in their family with FMS, CFIDS and other related illnesses.

Ellen