Stressed, can't sleep, can't eat at college.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Sep 17, 2008.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I just moved into college on Sept. 1st, and I really, really like it. I've already been to one party so far, and I really like my classes. The problem is, for about two weeks now I haven't been able to eat.

It's not that I'm not hungry; I am. I get hunger like I normally would, but when I start eating, I get full too fast. I barely eat anything, and if I try to force more food down, I feel really sick.

It's not that I don't want to eat--not at all. I'm worried that I'm not eating. I just don't know what to do about it. I know it's from stress, but obviously trying to force myself to eat more doesn't help.

It's scary, because I can FEEL myself starving. I'm cold all of the time, I can't sleep at night so at most on any given night I'm getting 5-6 hours of sleep. There was one that I got only 4 hours. I get hungry, but I can't eat. I've never experienced this before, so I'm not really sure what else I can do about it, since I can't force myself to eat more.

One of my friends here is really worried. She made a comment one day that she felt like she was eating with an anorexic, because I could barely eat anything. I've told her about it, because I don't have an eating disorder, I don't WANT to starve. It's making me sick.

I missed two classes last week, one of them a lab that I hadn't been to yet so I don't know what I missed, but I'm sure missing a lab is a pretty bad thing.

My pain's getting worse, I just feel sick a lot of the time. I've told my mom about it, and she agrees that it's probably stress. I went home over the weekend, and on Friday I weighed myself. I lost 6 lbs in a week and a half. I think I've lost a few more since then.

I'm already on anti-anxiety medication, though, AND I'm on lamictal for migraines, though I'm sure it's been helping a bit with my mood swings.

I'm not sure what to do, at this point. I've never NOT been able to eat even though I wanted to. Any suggestions?

[This Message was Edited on 09/17/2008]
  2. Malcolm82

Malcolm82 New Member

Is there an infirmary on the campus of your school? If you are far away from home and can't go to your regular doctor, it might be a good idea to go there and tell them what is going on. It may be something more serious, or it very well could be stress. It might be a good idea to get ahead of this before it takes you out. I remember my college days, going, going, going all day and all night it seemed. It is so easy to get run down even if you aren't sick to begin with. When you are sick, it could be devastating.
  3. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I third the motion of getting to a doctor.

A healthy smoothie type drink may give you some needed nutrients until you have your appointment.

Take care