stretching exercises/guidance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sofy, Nov 8, 2002.

1. sofy

sofy New Member

Up until 2 years ago I walked several miles per week and used my pilates equipment and various arobic tapes several times per week. The fatigue got so bad that the only time I wasn't asleep was when I was trying to earn a $. I also began to get so short of breath with the slightest energy expenditure that it all pretty much came to a stop. Anyone have any suggestions for tapes or something to follow at home for light stretching exercises.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/09/2002]
  2. sofy

sofy New Member

Up until 2 years ago I walked several miles per week and used my pilates equipment and various arobic tapes several times per week. The fatigue got so bad that the only time I wasn't asleep was when I was trying to earn a $. I also began to get so short of breath with the slightest energy expenditure that it all pretty much came to a stop. Anyone have any suggestions for tapes or something to follow at home for light stretching exercises.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/09/2002]
  3. granmama

granmama New Member

Hi Sofy,
    I stretch each morning before even getting out of bed.
    >>I use the pelvic tilt for my lower back, about 10 repetions. Pelvic tilt is pushing your lower back to the bed or floor and holding, then releasing. Don't hold your breath either. Or you can stand against a wall and get the same effect.
    >>This too can be accomplished by doing the cat stretch, get on all fours and arch your back.
    >>Knees to chest and hold, stretches the lower back and buttock muscles.
    >>Knees up, feet flat, turn both legs toward left, then rt.
    This stretches the hip area.

These are the only ones I work on at the moment. My hips and lower back cause me the most pain. I learned these stretches in re-hab after my back surgery.

Hope this helps.
    granmama
  4. sofy

sofy New Member

When you finally get all that heavy plastic off the video and manage to pick up the heavy beast and turn on the vcr let me know how it is. (I'm tired all ready) I like to have the structure of a tape to follow. It works better for me than a self styled program. Have been edging up my own simple stretching to the just beginning place and it feels soooo good to be moving.
  5. toots2

toots2 New Member

Have you ever tried taichi, a chinese art form that stretches every part of the body? I do it with a video, specifically "David Carradine's Beginning TaiChi" that I purchased from Amazon.com. I really enjoy it knowing how important it is that we stretch to keep up our range of motion as we get older. Hope this helps. Toots