"Stroke of Insight" Author on Oprah Today

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had heard about this incredible woman and was fortunate enough to catch Oprah today where she was the guest. I can't remember her full name; I think her first name is Jill. She was a brain doctor and had a bleeding stroke which temporarily wiped out the left hemisphere of her brain. Because she received medical treatment quickly, she was able to make a full recovery. She has written the book so others may get insight to what it is like to live only in one's right brain. It was also written to help others who suffer illness and to help those who care for them.

Because she only had right-brain function, she navigated the world using only her senses for a while. She could sense the energy being brought into her room by the doctors and nurses caring for her. Anyone in a position to care for others, which is basically all of us, could learn from this book. The most profound thing I got from the show was what she wrote about responsibility: "You are responsible for the energy you bring to me."

I am responsible for the energy I bring to the world. Others are responsible for how they react to my energy and I am responsible for how I react to others' energy. That is right-brain essence.

Unfortunately, the left brain is always filtering our senses. Of course, we need left-brain logic but it can interfere with the purest form of communication--the energy we bring. Each moment, I am choosing the energy I bring to others and how I react to them. It is my responsibility and my choice. For me, that thought is very empowering.

Hope others got to catch the show. Has anyone read the book? Think I'll reserve it at the library.

Love, Mikie
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Gave a TED talk on the experience of her stroke. It's fantastic and can be found at the above link.

Thanks for bringing it up, Mikie.

3. jole

jole Member

I truly believe our energy is (good or bad) is felt by those around us. When I'm having a bad day my hubby is much less responsive and conversation is at a minimum. He responds to my energy constantly. So do my children. When they come home if I'm quiet and withdrawn, I do not send off positive energy and they are quieter and seem to have less fun together.

Yes, it is our responsibility to see that we send out positive energy to those around us so they can feel secure and happy also. I think this has a lot to do with the "passing it on" in all our lives, and in general if they are open to the energy, could make our world a better place.

Wish I could have seen the program, but will try to get the book. It sounds like an important one to read, and also an inspirational one. Thanks for letting us know, Mikie.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Before I saw the show. It was an article written by someone else. She described living in her right brain as a clear blue sky. When she was trying to relearn language, it was like each word was a cloud coming into view. What she realized is the value of being in one's right brain. When she wants to be totally in the present, or just to relax and get rid of the left-brain messages, she makes the choice to switch into right-brain mode. This is what we do when we quiet the brain and meditate.

Even before I saw Oprah, I began using the blue sky image to clear my thoughts so I could go to sleep. It has worked for me faster than anything else I have used.

Love, Mikie