Strong reaction to chiropractic visit

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achingbytch, Feb 16, 2007.

1. achingbytch

achingbytch New Member

I went to my chiropractor after a 10 month absence, during which time my mother died after many months of me caring for her in a hospice and I filed for divorce. Its been a long year. I wasn't ready for actual manipulation; he stetched my lower back and diid some pressure point work at my shoulders and neck. He said that all the joint crackling etc is because the body is saying it wants to move and I'm holding myself very tight inside. I came home very exhasuted from his work and fell into a deep sleep. This has never happened to me after treatment. Anyone know why? My layman theory is that not having felt human touch for so many months was like having been in a desert and taken a drink of water...
  2. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

When I was seeing a chiropractor, I often slept after adjustments. He liked for me to lay down with an ice pack for at least 20 minutes and I usually went to sleep once I removed the ice pack. I assumed that the reduction in muscle tension and pain allowed my body to rest more completely.
  3. Kazah

Kazah New Member

hello again!

never been to the chiropracter but occasionally go for a deep massage (when funds allow)

It makes me want to go to sleep straight away. As I'm having the massage i can feel the blood suddenly rush to my head and my headache goes away for a while. I think it helps me to relax more but often get a bad flare a couple of days later.

I think your theory on the human touch is definietly a valid one. It's bit of time just for you and we don't often have that in our lives. It also helps i think to feel that someone is trying to do something to help.

have a good un
    kazah