Strongest Sleeping Meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Meghanne, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Meghanne

Meghanne New Member

This is my first post here. I've been lurching a while and getting lots of good information. I'm 35 and was diagnosed with fibro several years ago, after a car accident triggered my first flare.

Currently I'm taking Neurontin, Cymbalta, Xanax, Ambien, and Nexium.

What are some of the strongest sleeping meds that one can take on an outpatient basis? I have tried Restoril, and may ask for it again.

Thanks,
    Trish
  2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I take Xanex at bedtime every night. That is the only medication I take for sleep. It has worked great for me (my problem has always been falling asleep) and it also has helped my anxiety problems. But since you listed it as one of the meds you are taking and are looking for something stronger it probably doesn't work as well for you.

As for stronger ones, I'm not sure but I'll bump you back to page one for more responses. :)

JL
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I take 10mg morphine, 100mg Norflex and a 7.5 mg Zopiclone (Canada's version of Lunesta). The other two drugs seem to handle the pain & stiffness that used to wake me up, even with a sleeping pill.

It's worked for the last four months at least.

Regards,

Eileen
  4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

CanBrit .. I also have been taking zopiclone and it started to fail on the 7.5 mg .. now I take 2 of them for a total of 15 mgs and it is working much better .. but I don't know how long that will last .. did you think of increasing your dosage to see if it would help ?
    Fudge : )
  5. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Xyrem is the strongest sleep medication I've ever taken and it doesn't have to be increased like other sleep meds do.

abbylee
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I imagine I could but pain as a rule tends to disrupt my sleep. I'm not so sure there's any getting around drugs becoming ineffective after a time.

Abbylee I'm not sure what xyrem is. I'll look it up.

Regards,

Eileen
  7. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

CanBrit .. I have a routine at night that begins at 7 or 7:30 PM .. I take 1500 mgs ( 3 caplets )of L-Tryptophan .. 8 PM 50 mg of amitryptyline .. 9 PM another 50 mg of amitryptyline ( for a total of 100 mgs .. it just seems to do better split up like this ) .. then 2 x 7.5 zopiclone with the generic gravol .. I too, wake up with pain through the night .. but so far this combo seems to help .. I know we are all so different with our body chemistry it would be rare to have the same combo work for some one else .. I just thought increasing the zopiclone might help for a while .. I don't know if my doctor is going to say anything about it when I see her on Monday .. she has been away since Feb on maternity leave so she doesn't know what kind of schedule I'm on with meds now .. could prove interesting ! haha
    Good luck in any case !
    Fudge : )
  8. Meghanne

Meghanne New Member

Ok, I looked up Xyrem, but it says it's for narcolepsy, so how would it help me with sleep at night?

Thanks,
    Trish
    [This Message was Edited on 11/01/2005]
  9. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

I take Xyrem too. Its not only for Narcolepsy. People with Narcolepsy aren't getting their deep sleep at night (from what I understand) so it works for them the same as for us.

Sandy

10. Meghanne

Meghanne New Member

Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll ask the doctor about it when she calls me back today.

Trish
  11. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Xyrem is also being given to fibro patients who have alpha wave intrusion (a sleep disorder), in fact, some are getting it without a sleep study first.

It not only helps with sleep, but in some cases helps the pain after a time.

abbylee
    [This Message was Edited on 11/01/2005]
  12. JLH

JLH New Member

First of all, welcome to our board/support group! Glad to have you!!

Do you want something to completely knock you out?!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding!

Every med affects each person differently. Like Elavil is the strongest to me--10 mg, which my doc told me was a baby dose when he started me out on it--put me to sleep for 20 hours!!! I couldn't even wake up to go to work the next day. Then I read here were some people take 50 mg a night!! OMG, that would practically put me in a coma!! I ended up having to cut that 10 mg tablet into fourths and take only a 1/4 tablet each night.

Then my doc started trying me out on different drugs to see which would help the best.

I ended up likning Zanaflex the best. It is very sedating and there is a wide range of mg's that you can take at night to see what helps you best. I only need to take 6 mg to help me. It does require a prescription, though.

I don't know what you meant on what you can take on an "out-patient" basis. Do you mean what is the stongest thing you can get "over the counter?" If that's the case, then I don't know.

The best thing to do would to have a sleep study performed prior to starting on any sleep med. That way, you doc would know which type of med to start you on!!

I have had a sleep study, and I do have obstructive sleep apnea, so I also sleep with a CPAP machine along with oxygen.

If all else fails, take Benedryl! That is safe and helps a lot of people.

Hugs,
    Janet
  13. dinodebi

dinodebi New Member

I have found that a 10mg of Ambien w/750mg of Robaxin works very well for me. I fall asleep quickly, and can sleep thru pain (and husbands snoring) to feel better in morning. As a muscle relaxor, the Robaxin works well to keep the pain away.