Struggling thru SS Disability Form

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsBella, Aug 12, 2003.

1. MsBella

MsBella New Member

Gahhh! Is the SS form supposed to make me feel like a complete idiot? I just got the form in the mail this morning, and the phone interview is tomorrow afternoon. I've rounded up most of the info, but I'm totally stumped on Section 4 -- Information About Your Medical Records:

A) Have you been seen by a doctor/hospital/clinic or anyone else for the illnesses, injuries or conditions that limit your ability to work? Yes or No

Obviously, A) is Yes. But now look at:

B) Have you been seen by a doctor/hospital/clinic or anyone else for emotional or mental problems that limit your ability to work? Yes or No.

I guess I'm stumped over the "emotional/mental problems" part. Does that mean depression and difficulty sleeping, or does it just mean seeing a therapist/psychiatrist?

I have the feeling I'm making filling out this form hardre than it should be, but sometimes it's those seemingly simple questions that trip me up the most, because it's not black & white. And don't even get me started on the whole "When did you become unable to work" question. I guess I should just be glad that I remember what year it was, eh?
  2. lovabuga

lovabuga New Member

HI MSBELLA,

THE SS FORM DOES MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE AN IDIOT.WHEN I WENT I WAS DENIED TWICE THEN I GOT A LAWYER THAT SAID I GAVE THEN TOO MUCH INFO AND THAT WORKED AGAINST ME SO BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY.MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY TO FIND A LAWYER THAT WORKS ON COMMISSION AND WORKS ONLY ON SS CASES THEY ONLY GET PAID IF YOU WIN AND IT COMES OUT OF YOUR RETROACTIVE CHECK.WITH A LAWYER YOU WON'T HAVE TO WAIT SO LONG EITHER.GOOD LUCK.LOVABUGA
  3. MsBella

MsBella New Member

Not that I want anyone else to feel stooopid too *g* but jeez, with all the fibro cognitive problems on top of the stress of having to have this done by tomorrow's interview, I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I get so frustrated these days with seemingly simple "mental" things, but add stress into the equation and I get confused and emotional.

I am so glad you guys are here. I get so much support just from reading the board, and I'm going to try to get over my shyness and participate. I hit bottom a couple of weeks ago, and it was this board that convinced me to climb out of the "pit of despair" and fight again.

[ advertisement ]