Struggling to keep up....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CockatooMom, Oct 17, 2006.

1. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to drop a line and report that I'm REALLY struggling trying to keep up in nursing school and at clinicals.

Last week I had to give a bed bath to an elderly patient and was sweating so badly I got a washcloth for myself to keep from dripping on him. (How embarrasing) He was so kind and understanding. I HATE THIS! And there is NOTHING I can do about it!

I'm SO tired and I have SO MUCH I need to be doing for school right now, but I just can't.

The past few days I've been in so much pain I just wanted to cry, but the tears won't come. My wrists, elbows and shoulders hurt so badly driving home from school Monday night that I could hardly hold the steering wheel.

I just want school to be OVER. I don't know how much more I can take. Right now I have ONE support person I can call and I have all of you. (Thank God) No one else understands.

I keep telling myself..."One day at a time....One day at a time."

Thanks for listening.

2. jole

jole Member

Hi there! I feel so badly for you. Nursing is a very hard job, not only mentally but physically. Hopefully once classes etc. are over it will be a little easier for you. I was a nurse for 25 years or so and had to quit. I just couldn't remember well enough and the fatigue killed me.

I wish you all the best. Determination plays a big part in our ability to keep up, but please take care of yourself!

Friends - Jole
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

then when you do graduate hopefully you can work like part time then build up to full-time.

hugs my car is leaking radiator fluid, wonderful i have class at noon and test at 2:30 pm.

hopefully i can get my car in and a car loaner...this sucks..

i just found out i was getting my scholarship only 300.00 because i had to drop that enlish class at the beginning.

now i can see i will be using it for my car.

i am waiting for my student loan to purchase a new car.

i have had it w/cars.

jodie
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi
    Hope it Goes by Quickly for you !! Sounds like alot of Hard work with the DD's and all! I always wanted to go on to Nursing School But ended up Being a Certified/therapy/nurse aide for 22 years and Raising my Girls.
    I Applaud your efforts!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hope you Feel Better soon!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sydney
  5. 1faith

1faith New Member

You didn't go this far to let this crap beat you!! Just a little ways further-then you can rest and rest and rest!!!! Keep reminding yourself it's (school) is not forever and a break is coming soon.
    I well remember nursing school-and it was horrible and I wasn't sick then! A few years ago I went back and got a BS in another field and it was easy compared to nursing. The phrase "nurses eat their young" is so true!
    Focus on what you CAN do to relieve the pain-fix what you can. Please don't give up-2007 is close by!!!
  6. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I,too, hope that you can hang in there and finish this semester. We all had embarassing incidents during our training! Don't let that bother you.

I understand how hard it must be with the pain and fatigue. It's a demanding course. You will make a good nurse, though. You are a hard worker and you will have a lot of empathy with your patients.

Don't put yourself over the edge, though!! You know you are good enough and you can drop something and finish later. That is always a an option, although I know you don't want to consider it. You come first.

Like the others, I am behind you to catch you if you fall. Keep us posted. You have lots of support here.

Kathy
  7. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Thanks for the support! I sure do feel like “throwing in the towel” (LOL) at times (because it’s all sweaty) (LOL)!!

I know that I will never be a floor nurse in the hospital working full-time. I just pray I graduate and pass the NCLEX for right now.

Donnaeil, I hope you don’t slip and fall either…domino effect!

Prickles, so sorry to hear about your troubles too.

Yes, May 2007 will be here before I know it, and school will be OVER! Stress levels will go WAY down! And I can get back to a more normal life…well, you know.

Thanks again all of you!

Another day finished, 2 more to go.

Hugs to all,
    E
  8. JanesGrama

JanesGrama New Member

Years ago, I went to nursing school with fibro too, but never told anyone--it was wasn't considered a "real" disease then. I also had a very abusive husband at the time who didn't want me in school and would attempt to destroy my books and or homework whenever he could. I survived (just barely) and graduated. I found after I went to work that stress made my fibro so much worse and school is so stressful. Please try to find a physical activity that you can do to relieve the stress, walking--especially outdoors in the fresh air & sunshine, yoga whatever. I know you think that you don't have time, but your brain needs to function at peak efficiency and this destress activity is like rebooting the computer in your head. It is worth the time you budget for it, even if it's just a short time. Remember regular exercise boosts seritonin levels. The hospital I worked at put in a fabulous gym for employees to work out & destress. It's that important--you will be able to think more clearly. If you can possibly afford a massage therapist even twice a mo it would do you wonders to relax all those muscles that are so tense from all your stress. They are not all the same, make sure yours does deep neuromuscular massage. You won't believe the difference your shoulders will feel. I see one once a wk and he does a full body massage and has helped me beyond words. Can you get some study partners that can maybe do some of the paperwork,or research on your careplans or whatever to help ease your load? The people I went to school with were witches so I don't know your chances of finding some kindly people. When you finish, try not working floor staff in the hospital---too stressful and too physical there are many other areas to work in. If you feel the first yr that you must work a yr in the hospital to get broad experience I suggest working Peds. That was my favorite place, the pts were usually babies, so they were light weight--no physical stress at work and I usually only had 5 pts, that mostly were respiratory so the respiratory therapists had half of the work with them. The parents provided most of the kids physical care so really I only had assessments and meds. Its really the best place. Try to keep yourself relaxed and everything will work out better. I had a bad time with clinicals too as I could never keep up and was always the last one finished. As long as they pass you and you know that you know your stuff thats all that matters. You will get tons of orientation where ever you work so just focus on knowing the stuff to pass your boards. Good luck, I will be thinking about you.
    Linda
  9. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Thank you so much for the advice.

I know I should be exercising, and you're right...I don't make time for it. Although I HAVE been making time for naps.

Pediatrics is an area of interest, but it will be hard to get into that department at the hospital as there is a waiting list.

I'll figure something out. I don't mind working 2nd or 3rd shift either= less stress.

Well, I am in between classes and need to go study for my GI exam tomorrow.

Thanks again for the support(you and everyone)and for keeping me in your thoughts & prayers.

Hugs,
    C-mom

10. 1faith

1faith New Member

Cockatoo-consider options outside of the hospital setting too. Personally I couldn't stay on my feet for 8 or 12 hours right now, and I don't feel I would be mentally alert enough for sudden decisions. I've been in HOme Health for 12 years now and it works well with the FMS most of the time. I spent the first 8 years of my career in the hospital in various areas-much more physical. Dr office is another consideration-but many of them work late hours. School or industrial nursing are also worth consideration. Keep the demands it will place on you as low as possible. And keep looking for the light at the end of the tunnel!!!
  11. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

What a GREAT picture on your profile!

Yes, I AM going to consider other options for my nursing career. But, I feel like I want to get a little experience before going on the home front! We actually did a Home Health Care rotation this semester...definitely an option!

I'll keep my eye out for the light at the end of this school tunnel.

Take care!
  12. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

Just keep reminding yourself that nursing school is tough for anyone, let alone someone with a chronic disease. So the fact that you are going through school with an illness like this says alot about you.

I can relate to the pressures and demands of school. I've got 7 months left of nursing school until I graduate, and I'm just counting down. I so want to make it to the end and get through this, but there are days the CFIDS seems to get the best of me. However, I want to be a nurse more than anything, and I'll be darned if I allow the CFIDS to take this dream away. It's hard, but it's doable.

The other thing that is important is not to kill yourself trying to get to the end. One day at a time is a great model, but if you can't get all the reading done before a test, don't stress it. As long as you are doing the best you can, then there's nothing more you can do. Keep up with the work as much as you can, but you do NOT have to sacrifice your health and sanity for the sake of school. You still need to take care of YOU, and you still need to be able to have time to rest.

I hope this helps. Sometimes it just helps knowing you are not alone. Thankfully, I've got great classmates who I'm able to complain to and who complain to me. We get eachother through the tough times, and it's like they've become my family. I mean heck, I see them more than my own family.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  13. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

hang in there, again. i think you both are going on your strong will to overcome and be successful.

kudos to everyone on this board for trying the unbelievable.

i am only taking 7 units so it is part time.

i just talk to an acquaitence of mine..she just finshed rad school and now is going on to mri school.

she suggested too much lifting for me..
    i have had lots of shoulder surgery and going in for my tennis elbow the end of december.

then carpal tunnel w/be next on the list.

jodie