struggling to work as a nurse

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by katy, Nov 28, 2002.

1. katy

katy New Member

I am a nurse working in ITU, I have changed from working shifts to days, but I am still struggling. Has anyone else found this? Has anyone nursing found a job that does not aggravate their condition. I have had chronic fatigue for over a year. I have had a lot of sickness, and cannot cope much more. My employer is sympathetic, but my workload is the same as everyone elses, and I'm finding it a struggle, thanks, Katy
  2. katy

katy New Member

I am a nurse working in ITU, I have changed from working shifts to days, but I am still struggling. Has anyone else found this? Has anyone nursing found a job that does not aggravate their condition. I have had chronic fatigue for over a year. I have had a lot of sickness, and cannot cope much more. My employer is sympathetic, but my workload is the same as everyone elses, and I'm finding it a struggle, thanks, Katy
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

Katy, I've been an RN for 22 years. Only 3 of those were spent doing hospital work. I worked the Peds evening urgent care for a Kaiser facility for several years until an opportunity arose to try school nursing. Best professional decision I've ever made. I didn't know about FMS then, although hospital work was exhausting for me, but I had two small sons who would soon be in school. Working their schedule was wonderful, allowed me to be home evenings and weekends and holidays and summers (except when I worked year round school calendars, of course!) School nursing is demanding in its own way, sort of like running a cross between a medical office, a clinic, and an ER at times. The biggest difference, other than the schedule, about which I have NEVER complained, is that I am working with healthy kids, for the most part, and my job is to keep them healthy. Much more positive than hospital work. Even with the FMS and MPS that plagues me now, I work full time and enjoy my job. When the FMS flares, I can opt not to do more than see the sick and injured students, and on better days I can get the special education assessments and other chores done. I have never regretted my move to specialize in school health.

In California, you must have and RN, a Bachelor's degree in nursing or a related field, and a credential in Health Services, which you have 5 years to earn after you are hired, if necessary. Other states have different requirements, California's are among the most stringent. In my district, I am covered by the teacher's contract, including salary and benefits.

I hope this helps! There are other options out there for nurses.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Beth.
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I, too, am a nurse and if you read my posts, you'll know that I have just gone on medical LOA due to my illness(es). I have applied for STD and am awaiting a possible struggle with the insurance company. I dread it. You know, I am so tired and in so much pain and now I'm expected to have to fight for what is rightfully mine!! The timing couldn't be worse!
    I love nursing. I agree with the first reply in which it was said that 11-7 shift in a skilled nursing facility is just about as easy as it gets. If you have insomnia, (which many of us do)the shift change isn't so bad. It worked for me for many years until I remarried and actually LOVED sleeping with my husband all night!!! I worked for the last 6 1/2 years in a nursing home on 7-3 shift and I ended up doing way too much work...I am such a perfectionist and I just do WAY too much at any job and any less makes me feel guilty. This is a problem, as I just wore myself completely out and just couldn't do it anymore. I would've kept trying till I died, probably, but my doctor gave me little choice and took me out of work indefinitely a couple of weeks ago. I am new at this and am quite frightened about the $$$$$...or lack of it. I feel better being able to rest when I need to and take the meds I am prescribed, without fear of losing my job because of my fog and call-ins. It is much less stress; I still feel like I need to work a lot here a home to make my husband feel I can "pull my own weight" and be useful. I hope this part gets less troublesome for me.
    Good luck~~you may be like me and find that you have no choice in the matter.
    Love,
    Kady
  5. cls

cls New Member

Like Beth M, i also work as a school nurse and can pace myself according to how I am feeling that day. The ability to do this depends on the school where you are working. School nurses can be responsible for a wide range of numbers of students. some nurses can be responsible for as many as 800 students. that's not the kind of job you need. Luckily, as a nurse, you have lots of options for work that can be a little easier on you physically. good luck!