Struggling with part time work after only four months...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shaz73, Jan 5, 2009.

1. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

Hi, I have had CFS for many years, and after five years without paid employment (some voluntary work) I started working part time in the health service here in the UK. I have found it a real struggle and in the last two months have got really run down healthwise - getting two colds, the flu and a sickness bug in that time. I have managed to hold the job down but it is becoming difficult. Also, my sleep has gotten completely messed up due to the seasonal holidays. Hardly any sleep last night, and have literally dragged my sorry arse around the office today!

I not sure why I just wrote all that, but guess it helps to get stuff off your chest. When you dont sleep properly EVERYTHING seems wrong. I'm so fed up of feeling this way. Any advice or just a listening ear would be appreciated. Maybe its the January blues, but I've had enough of my life at the moment - so much I want to do, but so difficult to see things changing significantly healthwise.

Thank you for reading anyway.

2. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Dear Shaz,
    I take sleep medication every night, otherwise I don't sleep. I hope you get a good nights sleep tonight. You are right, sometimes it helps just to talk about it. Take good care of yourself.
    Love, Nanna
  3. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

My goodness, Shaz. How on earth did you hold down a job with that? One cold would have caused me to lose a job; the flu... I'm so surprised that you even made it to four months! That's.. amazing! You must really be giving it your all. =)

But I'm kind of worried for you. Getting infections and running yourself in the ground with work is THE way to cause serious relapse. With the constant risk of infections, is working in a health service facility really the best option? Were I in that situation, I would consider cutting down my hours, if possible (if I had other income for support in the mean time).

I'd hate to see you wait so long to work only to end up right back where you started, if not worse. Rest is so important, and it doesn't sound like you're getting any.

4. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

Thanks for your reply karynwolfe. Although I work in health service I dont actually work in a hospital and have no patient contact at all so thats okay. However, was thinking of doing some bank work at hospital before I kept getting various infections, but thinking twice about that now! I dont have energy to work any more hours anyway, as struggle with 17 hours now.

Feeling much better this week, although still tired (when arent I?!). Sleep is getting better too, which always makes you feel better about things doesnt it.

Thanks again for your concern, and thanks to other poster (sorry can't remember your name!)

5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Just wondering if you are working around sick people in your job? If so, it might be better to have a job where you are not exposed to other's illness.. It is so hard everywhere now to get jobs. I hope you are feeling better soon.