struggling with simple tasks and short term memory

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pammy52, Jun 1, 2003.

1. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

Is fibrofog more upsetting at times to anyone than the pain and fatigue.
    I am so tired of struggling to remember the simplest things.
    I write notes about the most basic tasks I need to do and then often forget to read the notes. If I need to count out
    items for a task I cant retain the # I ended with as I am adding to it.
    Grocery shopping is a huge effort at times. Does anyone have
    trouble with refocusing from the list to the shelf to the cart and walking at the same time? I have times when I am so overwhelmed that after a couple of aisles I end up leaving the cart,groceries and all and the store and getting in my car and going home.
    I have noticed a dramatic increase in this confusion over the past 2 yrs.. Sometimes the mental struggle can be the factor that sets off a major fatigue attack.
    Reading used to be a pleasure but I find it difficult to comprehend and retain much of what I read now.
    foggily....pam
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

It is soooo frustrating. I have had to take a simpler (and lower paying) job just so I can keep working. I forget everything.
    I sometimes test myself by trying to remember like 7 numbers and I can't.
    I walk around the store several times because I forget to get things on my list.

Other than this DD , if you are on medication you may want to check into those. Some meds can cause cognitive problems.

Good luck!
  3. AnnG

AnnG New Member

I have trouble typing and even talking. I hate it and still worry that it will just get worse!
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Have you checked your medications? That would be the first thing to do. Some meds cause mental confusion very bad.

Heres a little hint for grocery lists. List everything according to where it is in the store you shop at.

I make a list like this;

Meat department

Produce

Canned food

Drugstore

Pastry

Paper products

Drinks

This is the only way I keep track. I always start in the same direction in the store. I only go down aisles I need too, saves energy, time and money.

As for lists, I keep a running list on the fridg, when I run out of something I immediately write it down (I also keep a pen on a magnet on the fridge !).

As for the stove, washer and dryer, I have a timer by the computer, do this for meds too. I set it for the time I need to check something or take meds.

Do you drink water? I found that when I drink half my body weight in OUNCES of water everyday, my memory has improved.

Vitamin B also helps.

I sure hope you get better soon, you sound so disgusted with this.

I know how you feel, I have bought the same books over and over, foods and clothes too. I am much better now, but I still need my little reminders!

Shalom, Shirl

I
  5. Mumu

Mumu New Member

At my lowest point a few years ago I couldn't remember how to turn on the light in the bathroom at work that I had used every day for years. Luckily, I have found ways to reverse the process somewhat - Treat for yeast, eliminate as much stress as possible, listen to relaxation tapes to improve sleep, cut down on sugar and caffeine. I finally changed jobs, too. That helped a lot. I had been working 56 hours a week most of the time for 11 years. Now I work 32 hours a week at home, doing medical transcription - much less stressful physically and emotionally. I'm still a bit forgetful, but nothing like I was back then. And when I do forget something, I don't beat myself up over it. Luckily, my husband is becoming forgetful too, now, so at least he understands what it feels like.
  6. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I've posted this before, but my memory and concentration was so bad I was fired from my job! The breaking point was when I found a pair of pants in my house with the tags still on it, that I don't even remember buying!! That is scary!!

I insisted to my doctor that since I had all the SYMPTOMS of Attention Deficit Disorder, why not try a medication for same? Well, we did and it saved my life!

I had to train to start a new job, all this technical info to memorize, and I actually got through it! Not to say my memory is perfect now, not by any means. But at least I don't still rent the same movie two weeks in a row and forget I just saw it the weekend before!

I took time-release Concerta for about 6-8 months, then weaned myself off of it to see if I actually still needed it. I'm doing fine without it.

I still get brain fog, still can't do two things at once, and still forget things, of course. This med didn't erase the damage caused by FMS, but it did alleviate the severity of it.

I hate recommending prescription meds, but you've got to try this!

Good luck

7. donna13210

donna13210 Member