Student and disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nerdieduckie, Jun 25, 2008.

1. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Does anyone know if I can apply for disability, being a full-time college student? My counselor had never had anyone in this situation ask him about disability before, so he didn't know. He thought that since I was not going to be in a wage-earning portion of my life that I couldn't apply.

In my opinion, I would think that I still could, seeing as most college students anymore cannot afford to pay for college.

But anyway. I was wondering if anyone on here had had any experience / luck with this situation. Thanks!!
  2. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

Hi Nerdieduckie,

You may not be eligible for SSDI, which is Disability through the Social Security Administration. But you may be eligible for SSI, which is supplemental income for low income people who are disabled.

Here is a link to see if you qualify:
  3. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

First, do you have the number of work credits required for SSDI? I believe the number is 40 equal to working 10 years. One credit per quarter (3 months) equalling 4 per year. Please verify that as I am a little brain fogged today. Your assets aren't an issue for SSDI

Second, you have to demonstrate that you cannot function at a reasonable level of activity.

Getting up, getting dressed, getting to the school, sitting in classes, doing homework, handling the stress, etc. would seem like a reasonable level of activity and therefore could be translated to a working job.

If you don't have the work credits, then you could try to qualify for SSI which is a state run program. SSI does have asset limits as well as the "activity" limits as SSDI.

4. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I don't have any job at all, so I can't qualify for SSi, can I? I am hoping I can get a job at least this first semester because my schedule would allow me to do so, but I can't guarantee my second semester schedule will be so lovely.
  5. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

You don't have to be working to collect SSI, but you have to be disabled. I'm not sure if you would be considered disabled (by them)if you are going to school fulltime. You can make an appointment at your SS office and they will be able to tell you, or you can apply on line with the link in my last reply!
  6. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Thanks very much!

We have 3 lawyers who are family friends, so my mum may talk to one (or all) of them at church on sunday if she goes, just to see what they think about it. I am running out of ways to pay for my college education though and I don't know what to do. I don't want to have a gazillion loans that I am paying back until I am in my 50s.
  7. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

You should do it before you turn 21.If a person becomes disabled before 21 they are pain based on what your parents have paid in. Ruthie
  8. labrat

labrat New Member

I checked my recent statement from Social Security and it says "A young person who has worked and paid Social Security taxes in as few as two years can be eligible for disability benefits." This is for SSDI.

However, as some others have noted, you also have to meet
    Social Security's definition of disabled which is having a physical or mental impairment that's expected to prevent you from doing "substantial" work for a year or more or result in death.

If you can attend school full time, you would probably get denied because SS would say that is equal to or similar to working at a full time job.
  9. vmiller

vmiller New Member

I am also a full-time college student. I'm a non-trad student, though. I'm 36 and have three children. I was a single mother until April of this year and had no way to support my children. The only money I had coming in at all was my Pell and student loans. I can't work a full-time job - there is NO way. The only way I had to support my children was to go to college, which I could basically do on my own schedule. If I needed to stay home, I didn't have to worry about getting fired for calling in sick. I just caught up on my classes when I felt better. You can't do that with a job. I hope to be able to explain this to the disability people if they try to tell me at the appeal hearing that I can work if I can go to school.
  10. Honora88

Honora88 Member

Can I give some advice? There is a way to discharge student loans. I think your health is much more important than money.

I made that mistake the first year i got sick and made myself infinitely worse. looking back is should have taken some time off and gotten complete rest and i believe strongly that hadld i done that i would have been completely recovered.

perhaps not, but it is my gut feeling