Study: Medical Marijuana helps with chronic pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat211, Aug 30, 2010.

1. kat211

kat211 New Member

I know there has been a great deal of discussion on here about the medical uses of marijuana, so I thought I would post this article.

I can say from personal experience, that small amounts of indica mj do help me with my fibro pain. I am a medical MJ patient in my state. I have found that MJ with high percentage of sativa makes me jittery and does not help with pain, but high percentage of indica does help me with pain and sleep. I am by no means a MJ expert, or even a regular user, maybe 1x per month.
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I posted an article about the consequences some people are experiencing in the work place.

Since you wrote about MM, I will bump it.

What are sativa and indica?

Take care.

3. kat211

kat211 New Member

What a pothead once told me and the way I remember it is Sativa starts your day and Indica ends it.

Marijuana comes in two basic types - sativa and indica. Which type you choose will determine the effects you feel. Each type has its own distinct set of charasteristics.

Sativas are known for their height and their leggy, often sparse, leaves. Sativas can be anywhere from tall and round like a massive bush, to lean and spindly with a few large colas. The leaves - a trademark of the sativa strain - are long and thin. The odor varies with the particular strain that is growing.

The sativa high is often characterized as uplifting and energetic. The effects of a sativa marijuana are mostly cerebral. They give a feeling of optimism and well - being, as well as providing a good measure of pain relief for certain symptoms. A few pure sativas are also very high in THC content. They are known to have a quite spacey, or hallucinogenic, effect. Sativas are a good choice for daytime smoking.

Indicas are known for their smaller stature. They are relatively short and bushy. Some are compact, others are of a more moderate height. Indicas tend to grow wider and rounder than sativas. Many look like small shrubs. Indicas typically grow out many more smaller side colas.

The indica highs are most often described as a pleasant body buzz. Indicas are great for relaxation, stress relief, and for an overall sense of calm and serenity. Marijuana indicas are also very effective for overall body pain relief, and often used in the treatment of insomnia. They are the late - evening choice of many smokers as an all - night sleep aid. A few pure indica strains are very potent in THC, and will cause the "couchlock" effect, enabling the smoker to simply sit still and enjoy the experience of the smoke.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You learn something new every day. I always thought that all MJ plants were the same.

5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

There are also "hybrids" that combine the indica & the sativa. Each one you get can give you what you need or not. If I took a straight Indica, I'd be asleep, depending on its strength.

And if I took a straight Sativa (not many around), I'd be very high; maybe too much.

So now that I've become educated, I know which ones work for pain; ones that work for depression; ones that work for stomach upset (gastritis), but every time I get more, never know which ones will do the same as the ones before.

It's a huge experiment, but if you're laying awake all night, nothing like a good Indica to get you to sleep.

And if you're in so much pain, nothing like the right one to help with that, etc., etc.

I only use tiny amounts as needed, but can't take RX drugs, so bless our natural Mother Plant that the Feds are spending all their money confiscating them!! Ahhh the ignorance of it all.

Just read that Colorado is making alot of $ for their needs by legalizing it, and taking $ from its sale. Now those are the smart people in this dumb world. The rest of the country that thinks it's a "drug" need to get educated in "Nature's Plant".

P.S. Thanks for the info Kat.
  6. caroleye

caroleye New Member

How ironic that they were discussing this very topic, and callers from all over the country are for legalizing our Mother Plant. The Anchor was very conservative saying for "medicinal" purposes only.

Yeah, let's go get some RX's from the Dr., so we can give them more $ and side effects. Oh, and let's go to the liquor store and buy a case of something; much better!! How many accidents do we hear caused by DUI's vs M.J.?

O.K. I'll tape my mouth shut now............big issue for me.
  7. matieofleaves803

matieofleaves803 New Member

Yes, the way mj is treated is ridiclous, especially compared to alcohol. Anybody remember prohibition, and how well that worked? It ended because it actually was being peddled near SCHOOLS! That and organized crime, big time! And now our prisons are full of pot smokers who couldn't get off the couch to commit a crime if they had to! Millions of dollars spent on this and bigger and bigger prisons.... and all the time, a great opportunity for states to make some great tax dollars.
    grrrrrrrrrr ruff ruff ruff (spellcheck seems to think "ruff" is an actual word ---- well, I guess it in a big ruff around the collar ----but I digress....)
    It's not exactly legal in Colorado. There are medical marajuna dispenseries with all kinds of laws and rules governing them and more on the way.