Study of Fibromyalgia at Indiana University School of Medicine.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Apr 24, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I just signed up for this study and will have my first appointment next Tuesday. The study takes place in Indianapolis, IN.

If they can get me to exercise more than I do now, it will be worth it. I don't know how the CFS will fit into this study or if will disqualify me. Should be interesting.

IU School of Medicine Fibromyalgia Research Study
    Fibromyalgia (FMS), defined as the presence of both chronic widespread pain and the finding of 11/18 tender points on examination, affects 2% of the general population. Despite the recent advances in drug treatment for FMS, a greater majority continues to experience disabling pain, fatigue and impairment in physical function.

To help reduce the burden of FMS illness, the current study is being conducted to determine the efficacy of a telephone-based support system to encourage people with fibromyalgia to pursue a healthy lifestyle, which then lead to improvement in symptoms. This federally-funded research study will enroll 200 participants and randomly assigning them to either a motivational-based support system or a health educational-based support system.

Participants will receive 6 telephone calls and will undergo outcome assessment at week 1, week 12, week 24 and week 36. As an outcome of this study, we expect to enhance the adoption and maintenance of a healthy lifestyle for FMS sufferers. We believe that a healthy lifestyle is beneficial for people with FMS in reducing pain severity and improving quality of life.

If you are interested in participating in this study, please click the "Sign-up" button below:

About Us:

We are a team of clinical investigators from Indiana University who are actively involved in research studies to further understand the cause of fibromyalgia symptoms and to develop effective treatments. We are composed of MDs and PhDs from varied field including rheumatology, nursing, psychology and exercise physiology. To learn more about what we do, contact:
    Division of Rheumatology – Indiana University School of Medicine
    1110 West Michigan Street, Room 545
    Indianapolis, Indiana 46202

Janna Hilligoss, Project Coordinator
    Study Information and Scheduling Phone Number: (317) 278-3971

2. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

The problem with me doing something like that is I am to sick to go. I am too advanced.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I also worry that there will be times that I will not make it. I think you only have to be there three times and it helps that I can stay with my dad who lives close to Indianapolis.

But there are times where just walking from my bedroom to the kitchen might as well be 100 miles.

Because of the severity of our disease, some studies have trouble recruiting. Too bad they do not have traveling researchers come to us and/or we could go to the closest hospital to get any tests done. Probably too costly and time consuming and might mess up the statistics of a study.

Take care.

4. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

i live a little south of Louisville,ky, which isn't too far from Indy.

i was gonna do it, but did not qualify because i am on propananol (beta-blocker).=(

i just started an exercise routine, and am hoping it helps with my pain.

makes me want to ask my doctor now, if i should be exercising? what's up with being on this med?

best wishes w/ it! please keep us updated on it.