Study: Probiotics Reduced Anxiety in CFS patients

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dannybex, Aug 12, 2009.

1. dannybex

dannybex Member

I posted this on another thread about anxiety and depression, but thought it might get lost, so am reposting it here.

This double-blind, placebo-controlled study showed that probiotics helped reduce anxiety in patients with CFS (suggesting a gut-brain connection that many have talked about).

Gut Pathog. 2009 Mar 19;1(1):6.

A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study of a probiotic in emotional symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome.

Rao AV, Bested AC, Beaulne TM, Katzman MA, Iorio C, Berardi JM, Logan AC.
    Integrative Care Centre of Toronto, 3600 Ellesmere Road, Unit 4, Toronto, Ontario M1C 4Y8, Canada.

ABSTRACT: Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is complex illness of unknown etiology. Among the broad range of symptoms, many patients report disturbances in the emotional realm, the most frequent of which is anxiety.

Research shows that patients with CFS and other so-called functional somatic disorders have alterations in the intestinal microbial flora. Emerging studies have suggested that pathogenic and non-pathogenic gut bacteria might influence mood-related symptoms and even behavior in animals and humans.

In this pilot study, 39 CFS patients were randomized to receive either 24 billion colony forming units of Lactobacillus casei strain Shirota (LcS) or a placebo daily for two months.

Patients provided stool samples and completed the Beck Depression and Beck Anxiety Inventories before and after the intervention.

We found a significant rise in both Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria in those taking the LcS, and there was also a significant decrease in anxiety symptoms among those taking the probiotic vs controls (p = 0.01). These results lend further support to the presence of a gut-brain interface, one that may be mediated by microbes that reside or pass through the intestinal tract.

2. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Yet another reason I need to add more probiotics to my supplement regimen!

Thanks for sharing, dannybex.
  3. dannybex

dannybex Member

I know many of us deal with a reduced ability to tolerate stress and seem to get overly anxious. We're conditioned to think we need a drug for the anxiety (and sometimes we do -- I've used klonopin and am currently tapering off of valium).

But perhaps finding a good high-dose probiotic (or two or three) might actually get to the cause or one of the causes of the anxiety, which as this study suggests, may in some cases be surprisingly related to bacterial imbalances in the gut.

4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

umping for Joe
  5. Sceptical

Sceptical New Member

VSL3 is very effective in reducing anxiety just like ProBoost. My doc said there was a connection between immunity and anxiety. I do not take anything for anxiety anymore. Unfortunately, they cause somnolence in my case which seems to be either a hypersensitivity reaction or simply microglia activation. Try it out (VSL3). You might be more fortunate.
  6. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

Thanks Danny for posting this , it is important and will help some get off the drugs the doctors re so eager to prescribe.

Sceptical, I found out my accident how right your doctor is. I went on a program to fix the gut issues and intestinal inflammation and the anxiety went with most of the viruses and bacteria. Now, to get the Lyme and EBV healed!!
  7. dannybex

dannybex Member

Fred -- I doubt typical store bought yogurt has very much active cultures, except for the newer, higher priced ones.

Cort Johnson interviewed a Dr. Logan, who's been studying all of this, and he recommends a high-bifidus type probiotic as best for CFS/Fibro...

Here's a link to another thread that has a link to the article: