Study: Some Women Allergic To Own Hormones

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Mar 31, 2006.

1. darude

darude New Member

Study: Some Women Allergic To Own Hormones

POSTED: 2:38 pm EST March 31, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

Millions of women suffer from migraines and other aches and pains right before menstruating.

A new study out of the University of Texas at Austin indicates these women may actually be allergic to their own estrogen and progesterone hormones.

Researchers said women who experienced these health changes during their cycle have higher levels of a certain antibody against hormones than other women. An increase in antibodies is usually associated with an allergic reaction.

Researchers said this could some day help shed light on unexplained illnesses, such as fibromyalgia and interstitial cystitis.
  2. darude

darude New Member

Yup I'm still around. Yea we have hormonal problems because of Pituitary tumour (Pituitary is master hormone gland). I go to Pituitary website and OHMI how many have had the same probs as us. Lots misdiagnosed with CFS/FMS and to fight to get treatment for tumours.
  3. darude

darude New Member

4. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Thanks for posting this, Darude! I have heard of this before and always wondered about it. My recovery from 16+ yrs of CFS has been going very well except for the hormonal problems. Even though I haven't had a period for over 4 yrs. (natural menopause) I still cycle and have one week a month when so many of the symptoms come crashing back. I always felt like I was allegic to my own hormones and did go to an allergist once who gave drops to treat this, but the drops made me worse. I also wonder if we are more sensitive to fluctuations in our hormones. Or manybe our homones are disrupted due to environmental hormones, especiall estogen mimikers which are found in all sorts of products (cosmetics, plastics, etc.).

Social Worker, I had a friend (non-CFS) who had a total hysterectomy in her early forties and she was surprised that she still got monthly migraines. She is in the medical field and researched it and finally came up with the fact that ever though she didn't have her ovaries, the pituitary also controls female hormones. Also, fat in the body contributes estrogen and this may exlpain why many women gain weight at menopause. So even though some of your hormones are being suppressed, this may expain why you feel you are still cycling.

BTW, progesterone is one of the worst things I ever took. I took it for PMS and felt miserable on it and I look back as it being one of the triggers for my CFS. I tried it several times after I got sick and again, the same bad reaction. Depoprovera may not be the best thing for you. Just a thought.

For IC, I would follow the low oxalate diet. I have posted on this before.

I had IC in my 30s and always wondered if I had yeast in my bladder. The problem went away when my yeast problem cleared up.

Does anyone else have any ideas on dealing with these hormone problems?
  5. Prunella

Prunella New Member

6. darude

darude New Member