Study that 'solves' chronic fatigue syndrome blocked

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TigerLilea, Jul 8, 2010.

1. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Study that 'solves' chronic fatigue syndrome blocked

By Steve Connor, Science Editor
    The Indepedent

Friday, 9 July 2010

>>>Patients' groups fear there has been a conspiracy to suppress data in support of the idea that chronic fatigue syndrome is caused by a viral infection. However, scientists who have seen the FDA study have told The Independent that it is seriously flawed and should not be published in its present form because it cannot support its assertion of a link between chronic fatigue syndrome and XMRV.<<<

for complete story go to http://tinyurl.com/276r42c
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

thankfully the comments after the article are very well written and accurate, bc this may well be one of the most inaccurate articles I have read (& there is some pretty tough competition for that "achievement")
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Tammie - When I first read the article earlier today, no one had commented at that time. They were all very well written.
  4. quanked

quanked Member

From the article--

"However, American government officials have persuaded the journal, the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, to hold off from publishing the scientific paper because it contradicted a second study by other government scientists at the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which like the FDA is also an arm of the US Department of Health and Human Services."

Thoughts and questions--

First, who did the persuading (what agency and who are they) and 2nd, why cannot contradictory studies be published? What is the harm in publishing both? Is there a law that prohibits this? Not very scientific I think.

The "scientists" believe that the study is "seriously flawed" (and seriously flawed studies have never been published before I wonder and cannot learning come from studying mistakes?) and "...should not be published in its present form..."--how does changing its form alter the fact that it is flawed?

I just do not get it.