Stupid Guiafenisen Question....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by roro, Oct 14, 2002.

1. roro

roro New Member

Isnt guiafenisen the stuff that they give you for sinus infenctions? I hear people sayign on here its for FM. Is it a different med, I am spelling it wrong?
  2. roro

roro New Member

Isnt guiafenisen the stuff that they give you for sinus infenctions? I hear people sayign on here its for FM. Is it a different med, I am spelling it wrong?
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, it's the same active ingredient as in Robitussin and other meds which loosen mucus in the body. We use Guai in a whole different way and it works in a whole different way in the body. If you want to learn more, you can go to Dr. Paul St. Amand's website or buy his book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About FIBROMYALGIA."

Anyone considering this treatment absolutely must read the book and fully understand the treatment protocol.

Love, Mikie
  4. Jude

Jude New Member

I don't feel there are any stupid questions about guaifenisen; just people seeking answers. Since there are not many people on the guaifenisen and I have used it for six months I check in every day and if there is a question that I feel that I can answer about it I do.

Yes, guaifenisen was originally developed for sinus and allergy problems. It is being used by some people off-label as a tool for reversing fibromyalgia. Dr. St Amand has a web site describing the protocol. It does not work for everyone but for some of us it helps. I am better than I was six months ago. I expect to be reversing for the next 18 months. But the past six months have gone by rapidly and I was going to hurt anyway so why not try something that might help?

Mikie is the real expert on guaifenisen and just like all of us she is sick too. She can't answer all the questions in as timely a manner as she would like so I answer what I can.

Jude
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Roro, I'm sorry this was such a terse answer; I was reallllly tired when answering, but I didn't want to not answer either. Jude is right; there are no dumb questions. This treatment is not the easiest to understand (I had to read the book through three times in parts). I don't want to discourage anyone because this treatment has helped me a great deal, but it's too complex to give a comprehensive answer here.

You can learn a lot by just going to the website and can even read a little of the book there. This is the only treatment which offers the possibility of reversing FMS symptoms. I am somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 reversed. Unfortunately for me, my CFS causes me the majority of my problems. The Guai did help me get off Morphine for pain. It's well worth a look-see.

Love, Mikie
  6. Rich

Rich New Member

This is one of the main reasons I became a member today, to see what anyone here might know about this. It sounds promising but I have already realized you must rigidly stick with the protocol, even though i am only 1/4 of the way through the book. Also important to stay away from the salicylates as they will block effectiveness of the guaifenesin. We are at wits end trying to get rid of my wife's pain.

Rich
    [This Message was Edited on 10/15/2002]
  7. Member

Member New Member

After finding this wonderful website today I was flabergasted when I saw mention of the Guia meds. I recently visited Santa Fe, NM and felt wonderful with no symptoms of FMS or CFS. I really believe that the climate was the key to feeling good and would probably consider relocating. I am 63 years old and my husband is retired too.
    Re: Guia - while travelling through Wyoming, I developed an ear/sinus infection and was treated with an antibiotic and Guia - 2 tablets 2 x for 10 days. Later on in Santa FE it was necessary for me to refill the prescription. Now I wonder if it really was the weather? and/or the Guia or a combination of both? Thanks everyone!!
  8. roro

roro New Member

Mikie, no problem. I didnt see your answer as terse. I just was wondering if it was the same drug. Just a yes or no question. thanks.