Suboxone for opiods detox

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nyer566, Mar 13, 2010.

1. nyer566

nyer566 New Member

Has anyone had experience with detoxing with Suboxone, compared to being weaned off of percocet? I know Suboxone has a long half life which may be better but it still has an opioid in it. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Funny you ask....if you want to look back at some of my posts over the last month or so, you'll read my sob story.

To answer your question:

I went inpt 6 wks ago to detox from Methadone and Norco. I had started taking narcotics daily a little over 3 yrs ago. Started on Vicodin and worked up to Meth and Norco. Decided to detox due to various reasons, so did an at home wean for a month before going inpt. at Loma Linda BMC. I would not recommend this facility, not happy w the "pain" program they supposedly had.

The day I checked in, I had taken my last 10/325 Norco 6 hrs earlier. I had weaned my doses down to 5 mg Methadone, and 2-Norco per day for the previous wk. They gave me my first dose of Sub about 10 hrs after my last Norco. They are supposed to wait and start it when you are having clear withdrawal symptoms, and gradually ramp up your dose over the first couple of days, then decrease it over a total of 7 days.

My experience may not be typical, I'm sure everyone if different. There were many pts taking it for Heroin and Narcotic use (getting high mostly, a few for pain like me). After about 12 hrs I started to feel sick; fluish, shaky, very weak, headache, DRY mouth, nauseaous, diar, vomiting. The worst of it lasted for about 8-12 hrs...I hadn't "thrown up" for over 15 yrs, my least favorite thing on earth!

From then on out, I was mainly very shaky (could barely hold my silverware at meals), my legs were in constant tremors. I had sudden jerking movements all over my body that were almost like mini seizures, quit scary. And of course the icky aching feeling we all love to hate. The nausea actually continued for a couple of wks after I was completely detoxed.

My ins only covered the actual detox unfortunately, so I went home on the same day that they gave me my last single pill of Suboxone. After I got home, the withdrawal symptoms continued because now my body had to detox from the Sub.

These pills are sublingual, and have a nasty "lemon lime" flavor that burned the heck out of my mouth. You cannot swallow them whole, or you will not absorb the med properly. When I got home, my tongue and mouth were raw and extremely sore. I had to get an rx mouthwash to use for a wk at home. Not only was it from the pills dissolving under my tongue, but they caused my mouth to be completely dry all of the time. That was really awful, my tongue would just stick to the roof of my mouth when I was sleeping. Then, the nurse would give me another dose and my mouth was so dry that they took forever to dissolve.

Another side effect that I had was being almost unable to pee, but I've had that happen from other meds too. They also were giving me Flexeril, Motrin, Tylenol, Tigan (anti nausea), Trazodone and a couple others that I'm sure I'm forgetting.

My system was trashed when I came home, I honestly did not feel well enough to go home...but that was my insurance's fault. Supposedly the Suboxone makes withdrawal easier, but I don't know. That's the only time I've done a pain med detox, and it wasn't too much fun, but could have been worse I'm sure. Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to answer anything I can.

I hope I didn't scare you, just want to share the truth so you know what to expect. But like any meds, you may not have the same experience. The main common side effect that all of the pts seemed to share was the stomache issues, but that's true for coming off any narcotics. Just drink lots of fluids, force yourself cause you'll need them. And eat to keep your strength up, I'm still struggling w the weakness but it's also part of the FM/CFS.

Are you planning on going inpt, or trying detox as an outpt? My PCP doc firmly believed that I needed to go inpt, I am glad I did cuz it would have been scary at home. Also, inpt programs have a lot of group therapy type meetings that help support you thru the detox. I had been promised "Coping w Pain" type support, but it turned out to be a farce unfortunately.

Good luck to you......Hermit
  3. nyer566

nyer566 New Member

Thanks for your answer i appreciate it. I know people who have used Sub at home to detox and they are doing fine, and i know about the nasty taste and mouth wash thing. I am also looking for a taper schedule for percocet. I have scoured the net and cant find one. I take 30 mgs of perc a day. I have been taking them just less than a year. I take a ten mg in the morning with a soma for my muscle pain from the fibro. then i take mostly 5 - 7.5 throughout the day until i go to bed until i reach 30 mgs. My dr said they have stopped working and i don't want to take more. I just would like to find a taper schedule. My dr is approved to give Sub. So i wouldn't have to go to anyone else, which is good being he knows my history. This is my first experience taking Narcotics being im not really an addict, my body is just chemically dependent on it now. i don't go Dr shopping or buy them on the streets or take more than i am supposed to take. I just want to get off of them because i guess they reached their peak and arent working very good for my pain and my Dr said most of the pain i have now is because the percs have stopped working for my pain, and the pain i feel is most likely withdrawl pain, like leg cramping and muscle aches all over. But if you know where i can find a taper schedule for Percs i may do that because i cant see the sense in going from one narc to another to get off percs.
  4. nyer566

nyer566 New Member

SINCE MY PERSONAL MD IS EXPERIENCED IN DETOX I WILL DO IT AT HOME FROM 10 MGS OF PERCOCET 3 TIMES A DAY WHICH I CURRENTLY TAKE.
  5. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Sounds like you're ready to go, I wish you all the best. You may have a better experience than I did since you're going to stay at home. Your Dr will probably take more time with you and not rush your detox.

Since my insurance co was the deciding factor, I felt I was rushed thru the whole thing (7days) and discharged much too early. I had no outpt or recovery coverage. And I still received a bill for $2000, after I was told I'd have to pay $0 by the ins co and the hospital!

I'll keep an eye out for you, if you need any support I'll be here.

Take care and feel better!

Hermit
  6. nyer566

nyer566 New Member

HERMIT, MY DR SAID IT WILL TAKE A FEW MONTHS, SO IM SURE HE IS IN NO RUSH TO DETOX ME REAL FAST. PLUS HE SAID HE WILL GIVE ME A NON NARCOTIC MED TO HELP WITH MY PAIN WHILE I TAPER OFF THE PERCOCET. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR IMPUT AND HELP AND I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED , I START MY TAPER ON THE 13TH OF APRIL. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP..
  7. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

April 13 is a good day, it's my son's bday...he was even born on a Friday:) He'll be 15 this year...geez I'm getting OLD! I will be thinking of you as we eat his bday cake.

In the hospital, I was given Ibuprofen, Aceto, and Flexeril for pain. I don't know if I mentioned this before (in fact, I should start a thread on it) but I've discovered that the Acetominophen was causing me a great deal of rebound pain.

When I thought about it, I had also been ingesting Aceto for 3+ yrs in the Vicodin and Norco. Our bodies also get dependent on Aceto and NSAIDS, as far as messing up the pain receptors go. I did a little research online and since I quit the Aceto, pain is much better.

Wierd, huh? My pain level was soooo much higher when on the Narcs, the last year or so. I never knew, and I wouldn't have believed it unless I had tried it. So, just try and hold onto that thought...your pain will eventually ease up.

I'm also taking Celebrex now, it's a NSAID type COX2 inhibitor. Luckily I'm getting samples, cuz my stupid ins won't cover the $240 a month...another new, expensive med.

Did your doc mention what non narc pain meds you'd be given? I had people tell me to take Ultram, but even tho it's "non-narcotic", it works on the same receptors as the opioids so it's not a possible replacement. Besides, I tried it before and it didn't help, made me sleepy too.

Now, if I could just get some energy back, I'm still so weak and fatigued. The fatigue has always been the hardest part for me. Unless I'm on stimulants, I'm a slug! And, of course, I'm off of those for now also. I miss feeling motivated to get up and move, nothing works as well as the Dexedrine did, but I know it's not good for me either. It's just another cover up medication that eventually ends up backfiring on me. Overdoing it=Major crashes. Silly me.

Anyway, here I am rambling again. I'm just wanting to share anything I can w you in case it will help you. I didn't really have anyone to ask questions of about this stuff. And the folks in the hospital w me were all hardcore addicts and alcoholics, lots of heroin users which really surprised me. I had no idea heroin was that popular, those people had one foot in the grave when they checked themselves in! I consider myself very lucky.

You take care of yourself and keep in touch.

xoxo Hermit
    [This Message was Edited on 03/18/2010]
  8. nyer566

nyer566 New Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR SON! I HAVE A SON WHO WAS 24 ON OCT 4TH. AND I JUST TURNED 54 MARCH 11TH. MY DR SAID A NAME OF A DRUG THAT I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF IT BEFORE, SINCE I HAVE A SCREWED UP SHORT TERM MEMORY I CAN'T REMEMBER IT. I HOPE ITS NOT ONE OF THOSE NEW ANTIDEPRESSANT ONES BECAUSE I TRYED LYRICA AND A COUPLE OTHERS THAT DID NOTHING. I CURRENTLY TAKE 800 MGS OF IBUPROFEN IN CASE I NEED IT FOR MUSCLE PAIN AND SOMA 300 MGS MAYBE TWICE AT THE MOST A DAY. MOST DAYS I JUST TAKE ONE IN THE MORNING WITH ONE OF MY PERCS SO I CAN GET OUT OF BED, OR I AM IN SUCH PAIN WHEN I GET UP WITHOUT THIS I CRY. DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON A GOOD NON NARCOTIC PAIN RELIEVER THAT IS NOT AN ANTIDEPRESSANT? MAYBE I CAN TELL MY DR. I CANT TAKE ULTRAM IT MAKES ME PUKE. PLUS ITCH. I HEARD PEOPLE TAKING NAPROSYN BUT THAT'S JUST LIKE MOTRIN SO MY PHARMACIST SAID. IT SEEMS LIKE MY MUSCLE PAIN MOVES AROUND MY BODY A LOT, SOME DAYS ITS IN MY UPPER BACK MUSCLES, LATELY ITS BEEN IN THE BACK OF MY BUTTOCKS TO THE FOOT AND MY BACK. I TOLD MY DR THAT, AND HE SAID ITS THE PERCS NOT WORKING ANYMORE, SO I AM GETTING MORE PAIN THAN USUAL. I DUNNO. ALL I KNOW IS I WANT OFF THE PERCS. BUT IT WOULD BE NICE TO BE CLOSE TO PAIN FREE. I USED TO HAVE A HIGH PAIN TOLERANCE I GUESS AS WE AGE THAT GOES AWAY FAST! PLUS WITH MY ARTHRITIS AND DEGENERATIVE DISC DISORDER I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHICH CAUSES MORE PAIN. I KIND OF FEEL IT ALL OVER, MY HANDS AND BACK AND KNEES HAVE ARTHRITIS. I MADE AN APPT WITH AN ORTHO FOR APRIL 20TH. I HOPE HE ASKS FOR NEW MRI'S TO SEE IF IT HAS GOTTEN WORSE. I ALSO HAVE A SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY HEARING ON THE 19TH OF MAY I JUST FOUND OUT TWO DAYS AGO. SO I HAVE A LOT GOING ON WHICH IS MAKING ME NERVOUS AND THAT CAUSES MORE PAIN AND TIGHTENING IN THE MUSCLES. THE ONLY THING THAT REALLY MAKES ME NERVOUS IS GOING TO A HEARING WHILE DETOXING FROM PERCS. I MAY ASK MY DR TO PUT IT OFF UNTIL AFTER MY HEARING. IM SUPER NERVOUS AND KINDA DEPRESSED ALSO. WELL SO MUCH FOR MY BABBLING ON...TALK TO YOU SOON AND TAKE CARE....
  9. nyer566

nyer566 New Member

HI HERMIT! I STARTED MY DETOX YESTERDAY! I WAS TAKING ABOUT 3.25 MGS OF PERC A DAY. I DROPPED BY .25 PERCENT WHICH IS A QUARTER OF A TEN. SO FAR SO GOOD. I WILL KEEP IT AT THIS RATE FOR A WEEK THEN DROP ANOTHER .25 NEXT THURSDAY. I AM CURRENTLY TAKING I MG IN THE AM, 3/4 MG IN THE AFTERNOON AND 1 MG AT BEDTIME. I ALSO TAKE A SOMA IN THE MORNING. AND AN 800 MG IBUPROFEN IF I NEED IT FOR PAIN. DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?