Subsets of CFS - looking for info please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by springrose22, Jan 15, 2007.

1. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I have read posts in the past regarding subsets of CFS, and have searched every which way I can think of and can't find the information. I believe the term subsets refers to the possible causes of a person's demise. Some people are fighting viruses or bacteria, while others battle with toxic levels of chemicals, etc.

Is there someone here who can outline the subsets for me, or point me to another post? Thank you so very much for your help. Marie
    [This Message was Edited on 01/15/2007]
  2. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

it does seem like the CDC researchers have identified subsets, but so far they don't seem to have explained what they are to the wider public...
  3. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

That will get me started - trying to educate somebody about CFS. Marie
  4. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Great question Marie. I've wondered about this myself.

Hopefully, someone will come along with information on the criteria for subsetting.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the severity, duration, symptoms, clincial reporting, and possibly Th1 vs Th2 dominace.

Again, looking for someone with more knowledge.

Foxglove
  5. patrickj

patrickj New Member

This is a great post.

I think figuring out the subsets will help to specify treatment matrices for people.

Look forward to seeing what others have to say.

6. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

If you to to Email bulletins on this board, and click the one dated 08/23/06, you will find an interesting article regarding Dr. De Meirleir and his thoughts on 3 groups of CFS patients. I think I fall into group 1. How about you? Marie
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Dr. Montoya wants only people who had an overt viral illness (what I call the "killer flu") at the beginning of their illness in his Valcyte studies.

He thinks that one subgroup is people who have viral problems as the main cause (initial and continuing) cause of their disease.

I tend to think he's right about a lot of people with CFS not being in that subgroup.

There may be some people who have viral problems as the main cause of their illness but did not get the "killer flu." It's more difficult to identify them though.

This all could be incorrect, of course. I certainly am open to contradictory evidence and am sure that (as an academic researcher) Dr. Montoya is as well.

I do not know how I would tentatively subgroup everyone else.
  8. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Actually, in April of 2004, I suddenly got very sick with the flu (no diagnosis, just stayed home and suffered). It was the worst illness I had ever suffered in my life. I could barely move or see, and the only thing working well on me was my hearing. After 5 days, I got better - almost. After that, I never seemed to get back to normal, and eventually, within the next year, I had to quit working as my conditioned worsened.

However, I'm thinking that my problems started when I got dental amalgams as a teenager, and that the flu which got me in the end was only the final straw so to speak. Don't think I've been tested for HHV6 though. That might be a wise thing to do I'm thinking. Interesting work Dr. Montoya is doing. Marie