Subsidizing your SSD income on ebay anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msbsgblue, Dec 9, 2008.

1. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I am thinking about attempting to do this since my husband and I are currently living on one disabilty check, I will get regular SS in March with my disability still pending.

What kinds of things sell best? Has anyone set up their own small store on there?

I need extra income.
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Hi, I had a friend I worked with several years ago and he made miniature characters made of metal and selling them on ebay. He did make some money doing this.

However, it was very time consuming. His wife quit her job and did the ebay full time and he would work many hours after his day job.

He would often say that he was glad he was not in it for the money, because if you added all the hours he put in, dealing with customers, packaging, etc., it was exhausting. But he enjoyed making the miniature characters and he liked that as much as the money. I do remembering him comment that he had no idea how much work selling on ebay would entail until he started.

So I think it is a matter of what you are selling. How much time and money you can invest. If you have little things here and there, I am not sure if it is profitable.

This should give you a bump and perhaps more input.

Take care.

LISALOO New Member

I get help from hubby. I buy things that are low price online and sell them on ebay for more. It makes some money. Or certain web sites I'll buy things, know coupon codes to get more things for free, sell those.
  4. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

I have been selling on ebay for a while now. It makes me feel useful and gives me a little extra money . My hubby and I live on SSDI too. I can do this a few minutes at a time and rest in between. Hubby takes my mail to the post office 2-3 a week.

I sell lots of different things. My store does pretty well.

1) Find one favorite thing that you can buy in bulk cheap, break it up and sell it seperately. Make this your main seller

2) After you are making a profit ( this takes a little while), get an ebay store for $16 / mth to put your slower sellers in....they will sell eventually and the store is only 3 cents a month per item for my things.

3) ebay now encourages free shipping...buyers are getting used to that so offer free shipping when you can

4) sell small items if you can. Keeps shipping down, takes up less room and is easier to mail

5) Look around your house...add everything and anything that is in good condition that you no longer need. Books, cd's and VCR tapes sell well and are the easiest to list

6) Be very honest with the item's condition.

I find it fun, but don't get discouraged if you come across a problem buyer. I figure about 4 out of every 100 buyers will give you a little grief, but that's not bad.

Communication with your buyer is key.

Good Luck,

5. Empower

Empower New Member

I tried selling things around my house - even though they did sell, the amount of money I made was not worth it
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Don't you live in eastern part of the state of Washington? I just read about the winter storm warning. Let us know how you are doing.

ETA Sorry about getting your post OT but I did not know how else to get a message to you.

ETa Darn, I swear I saw you had internet notification. Checked again and you don't. gap

[This Message was Edited on 12/12/2008]
  7. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

We are under a winter storm warning. Actually show is late coming this year. I think we may be in the 2-4 inch range though you can never tell. I am in the eastern side of the state. Seattle may get heavy snow I hear, that is unusual.

It is suppose to be -2 degrees by Monday morning. I am going out tomorrow to get what I need at Costco and then I am not leaving the house next week in this bitter cold.
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Take care and stay warm.