Substance P

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jacqui_k, May 27, 2003.

1. jacqui_k

jacqui_k New Member

I've been doing a lot of reading at the site , and if I recal correctly, have read in one of the posts that ppl with fibro have too much substance Pin their bodies.Is this true? I need to know , as my aunt has been told by here Dr to take a supplement of substance P.
    Thanking you in advance for any help,
    All the best ,
    Jacqui
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Are you sure that is what she was told to do? I do not think it is possible to get a supplement of substance P! Where do you get it? Why would anyone take this? Is she perhaps a severe diabetic who can no longer feel it when she hurts one of her extremities? I can't imagine wanting to have more pain.
    Yes, Fibro patients have between 3 and 10 times as much substance P in their blood and spinal fluid as normals do.
    Klutzo
  3. jacqui_k

jacqui_k New Member

We were talking on the phone a few weeks ago ....comparing ailments...lol and I'm sure she sadi that she was taking all sorts of vitamins and some "P thingy " as she called it.As for not feeling pain , she unfortunately has more than her fair share of it, as do so many others here.I'm going to get on the phone and ask her to check again.I'll get back to you soon.
    Thank you for your imput Klutzo.