Substitute for cortef?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by roro, Sep 24, 2002.

1. roro

roro New Member

I have CFS, and have been diagnosed with adrenal insufficiency. Its low enough that I need cortisol. I tried taking cortef (hydrocortisone) and I didnt get any better. I have hepatitis C, herpes and who knows what other infections, and was in a bad flare anyway, so i dont know if it made me worse or just didnt have any effect. I went off it, and have been doign IV vitamin C. Now I am feeling a little better, but totally exhausted. The medication says its contraindicated in patients with hepatitis or other viral, fungal infections. But then I have also read that people on cortef may need to raise their dose if they get sick. i am really confused. i go to the doctor on thursday, and he will probably want me to try the cortef again, but I am afraid because of the hepatitis. Does anyone know anything else I can take besides cortef?
  2. roro

roro New Member

I have CFS, and have been diagnosed with adrenal insufficiency. Its low enough that I need cortisol. I tried taking cortef (hydrocortisone) and I didnt get any better. I have hepatitis C, herpes and who knows what other infections, and was in a bad flare anyway, so i dont know if it made me worse or just didnt have any effect. I went off it, and have been doign IV vitamin C. Now I am feeling a little better, but totally exhausted. The medication says its contraindicated in patients with hepatitis or other viral, fungal infections. But then I have also read that people on cortef may need to raise their dose if they get sick. i am really confused. i go to the doctor on thursday, and he will probably want me to try the cortef again, but I am afraid because of the hepatitis. Does anyone know anything else I can take besides cortef?
  3. sb439

sb439 New Member

... things that work for adrenal insufficiency, but are less strong than cortef, are

liquorice root, 2-3gr daily, best taken not with meals, I believe, but with a bit of protein, e.g. a bit of milk. This certainly helped me, after a couple of month I could take stress much better.

then there's pregnenolone, which is a precursor of various hormones, including, I believe, cortisol. Effects usually seen after a couple of months only, I've been told.

You can get both from health food stores in the US. But I'm not sure whether they should be taken if you have hepatitis, you'd definitely need to check!

Some people take pills with freeze dried adrenal glands from animals, but (a) I don't think any effect has been proven, and (b) I personally try to consume as little of my fellow creatures as possible.

hope this is of some help.
    Susanne
  4. roro

roro New Member

anyone?