Substitute for Cuddle Ewe mattress topper?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by donna13210, Aug 16, 2003.

1. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but for those of us who can't afford a new mattress topper do you think this would work:

What if I bought 2 or 3 inexpensive comforters, twin or full size, and bound them together somehow, one on top of the other? Do you think that would have the same "Cuddle-Ewey" effect? Or does the topper have to be stuffed with certain materials?

I hate my bed, and I desperately need some comfy softness for this poor achy body!

Thanks
  2. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I do not have a cuddle ewe either. I thought they were to expensive. What I did buy was a heated mattress pad that I adore! This can be purchased at walmart or Penneys. It is so wonderful to have my body heated from the bottom...my back and legs love it. You can sure give the comforter trick a try and see if it works. I believe that the cuddle ewe has wool in it. Have you thought about a down topper I see at Bon they are on sale for $99.00 any size. I also have one of those that I put in the camper and love it.
    Judy
  3. shoshi68

shoshi68 New Member

I was thinking the same thing. I heard that the foam mattress toppers sell for about 35 dollars and are good, but I haven't checked it out yet... so I'll be paying attn to this post!

thanks, donna- great question!

Shoshi
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have the Cuddle Ewe, and also have a Featherbed, one I got from QVC, its an 'uncrushable' by Northen Nights and it is also wonderfully soft and confortable. It cost $95.39 with s/h. YOu can see it at their website.

I also have the 'mattress heating pad' that I put on top of the Featherbed, and put a sheet over both of them, its pure heaven to sleep on.

If you bought that many conforters, it would cost about the same amount and dealing with all of that bulk would be heavy and a lot of work.

The Cuddle Ewe is stuffed with pure wool, which is very soft and sturdy. It will last longer than the conforters and the Featherbed, but you will get the softness with the Featherbed anyway, even if it does not last as long.

I have had Featherbeds that did last a couple of years before they started to 'shift' the feathers where they were not as soft anymore. But that would give you time and confort for now anyway.

Penny's has a 'heated mattress pad' on sale right now for $39.00 for a twin or full size in the sales catalog the item #DX725-2500 for the twin, and #DX725-2502 for the full size, and #DX725-2516 for the full with duel controls all the same price. This is really a bargin!

HOpe this helps, I really love all three, Cuddle Ewe, Featherbed and above all the heated mattress pad!

Let us know what you decide, I am curious how you like them.

Shalom, Shirl

5. JannyW

JannyW New Member

I found a wool-stuffed mattress pad at Bed, Bath & Beyond ... not as fluffy as the CuddleEwe, I'm sure, but it seemed to help for a while.

I really miss my waterbed :(

Jan ^v^
  6. Molegirl

Molegirl New Member

I noticed that they now have wool mattress toppers at IKEA. They come in different thicknesses...

~M
  7. donna13210

donna13210 Member

for all your input!

I agree, I think the "wool" is probably one of Cuddle-Ewe's secrets.

I know many of you use heated mattress pads, but I'm one of those people who feel too warm all the time AND sweat terribly at night. I think I would die in my sleep if I added more heat! LOL! But thanks anyway.

About a year ago I splurged on one of those "memory-foam" toppers, the one on TV. I was SOOOOOOOOO disappointed! It helped with a morning backache I used to have, but other than that, did absolutely NOTHING to help my aches and pains. It is not nearly as soft as it looks on tv when they leave that handprint in it! In fact, I think it's TOO firm. I would never recommend it.

I was going to buy an inexpensive Coleman camping air mattress, but the mattress is $28 and they want more than that for the dang air pump for it !!!

Thanks again. I may try the comforters and see how they work. There's a store near me that buys seconds and discontinued items and I can get them there hopefully at a decent price.

Take care