Success at Last !! I hope,,, (pain meds)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by razorqueen, Jul 8, 2006.

1. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

Well, I finally got to see a doctor where I live who isn't afraid to priscribe pain meds! I get to have something other than T3's! Now, I can't remember exactly what he is giving me, as I took the prescription to the pharmacists and they didn't have it in stock, so they have to order it. I don't get it till Monday. That sucks. But I do know it is some kind of morphine med. Long acting so hopefully I will have less problems with pain especially at night, so I might get some sleep. It is a low dose, 10 mgs I think, as I've never been on anything other than T3's, and I will take it 2x/day.

I am really hoping that this will work, and that I will get some sleep. I am sure the caffinee in the T3's are not helping the situation, and the dr agreed with me. Of course we had to have the "talk" about addiction vs. dependence, which I told him I knew the difference (I've learned alot on the net, thanks to everyone out there). He was a very nice doctor and was very willing to help me. I just pray the meds will work!

Raz
    [This Message was Edited on 07/08/2006]
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i went to go get my klonopin and the pharmacy was closed tonight...

it calms my nerves...helps me sleep...
    and the pain it is always here

jodie
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

How wonderful! It's about time; you have had such a struggle. Let us know about the drug and how it is working. I'll send good thoughts.

Kathy.
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I hd to switch from T3's too, because they were causing insomnia when I took them at night. I think you are in Canada, right? If so, then Emtec is the same w/out caffeine. I switched to them for a long time and then decided I didn't want the acetaminaphen all the time either, that can also keep me awake sometimes. So i switched to codeine phosphate, just the codeine, and I add acetaminephen if need be, then I'm not hammering my liver all the time. I have to admit, the acetaminaphen makes quite a difference in how strong they are for pain though.

Jeanne
  5. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

Your post about adrenal fatigue caught my eye. I've long suspected AF in my case; the times that you listed for sleeping due to low adrenal activity are the times that I am most likely to be able to sleep. It's been like that for a long long time. Do you remember the source where you gleaned this information?

mar
  6. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

tomorrow, but since I have to drive to Winnipeg Monday and Tuesday, I will wait till Tuesday evening to take them. Just in case I feel too funny at first. Don't want to be driving then!
    How do you find out if you have adrenal disfunction? Does a medical doctor test it? My periods are fine.
  7. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

Thanks.

The menstual symptoms matched me to a "T" -- that is when I had a uterus and before menopause! LOL I'm going to research this a bit more.

Yesterday after I read your post I took one of my FM/CFS books off the shelf. Figured I'd recheck what they had to say about the adrenals. I fell asleep within 2 - 3 minutes!! :(

I don't think I was out of bed for more than 2 hours yesterday -- if it was even that long.

One of the difficulties with these DDs is that there are SO many symptoms. If you put a dozen or so of us in the same room, we might share a few of them, but each of us would have other different ones. We're all potpourris of miserable symptoms.

(As an aside, I just entered "potpourri" into an online dictionary to make sure I had the spelling right. The word comes, not surprising, from the French -- are you ready for this??? For *rotten pot* !!! LOL I think the term fits us better than it does a basketful of dried herbs and/or flower petals, don't you? )

I keep meaning to keep a journal listing daily symptoms, just for a month or so. That way I'd be able to sort out exactly which symptoms are the most troublesome.

I think it would be useful, if only to me; but I'd like to have something more tangible to present to my doc.

I go every four weeks -- he has me Dx'd with severe FM/CFS/CMP,etc but still and all, even the best of docs only see us for a few minutes at a time. Call me an optimist, but I'm still hoping there's some way to address the most severe of my symptoms.

So far my attempts at journalling have failed b/c I either completely forget about it in my fibro-fog, or I wind up bedridden, and sometimes sleeping, for days at a time.

Sigh! I joke with dh every now and then and ask him to make sure he at least dusts me off from time to time. 8^)

I also believe that any treatments, breakthroughs in these DDs are going to come thru with a lot of help from patient input and especially BB like this one. The info is all here in one place, not exactly a scientifically controlled study, but at least the inspiration and fodder for one.

Mar
    [This Message was Edited on 07/10/2006]
  8. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Thank God!

They can be found - sometimes it takes a LOT of work on our part.

I hope the new meds. work well for you.

I tell you what - I had Dilaudid after my c-section in 01/05 and it was so much better than those stupid codeines.

Morphine is a great pain killer. It's too bad that so many doctors are afraid to use it.

I'm so happy for you - I hope it works great!

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  9. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

First, if it is in pill form, I would bet that it is Methadone. My father takes it for a severe spinal chord injury and when he goes anywhere besides the private pharmacy that knows him and knows to stock them, he usually comes home empty handed.

Second, if it were a patch, I would guess the Duragesic Patch. I used to be prescribed to it and decided to take myself off of it because i didnt want to become addicted and have to go into detox. Well now that doctor refuses to prescribe anything stronger than Flexeril which does nothing for me!

Im so happy everything worked out for you. I am trying to find a doctor that is exactly like yours. It is so hard! You are very fortunate!

Take Care,
    Stephanie
  10. Fibrotears

Fibrotears New Member

My GP also do not want to prescribe stronger painmeds than schedule 4/5 painmeds!!!

And his attitude: You're all ready addicted!!!! But I don't portray any "symptoms" or behaviour of addiction.
    I was the one in the first instance that told him that I don't like using painmeds. Espesially when it makes me feel drugged.

Finally, after 4 years he prescribed Valoron 50mg (Schedule 7) but told me that it will be limited and that he's watching me like a hawk!
    Arrogant!!!!!

I assume schedule in South Africa is T's in your country?

So HAPPY that you finally have a doc that prescribed stronger meds. It still stays a struggle world wide.

I always believe that if you have a strong will that you won't get addicted.

People who get addicted to painmeds like the feeling of euphoria (going on a 'trip') and usually they start to use it for a valid medical problem (after operation, back pain) but then they start to use it to help them forget about emotional or other problems.

But I'm 100% sure that we FM-ers won't get addicted because we're in to much real pain, but also want to resume our 'normal' lifes!

Regards,
    Fibrotears