Such funny people in this book club, can I join, please?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pennygirl2, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

Hi I am pretty new to group but some people are getting to know me I think. I wanted to join but was undecided because I have to read large print books.
    was LOL reading you, Rockgor and MrDad's responses to book.
    I love to LOL so serendipitously and in the world of ESP maybe, Rock, I had already bought this book in large print and put it aside. Now, wow, I get to read it with you all.
    I am very excited to "join this club". Did you mean the 27th, for September discussion, Ken? or October? People must read fast if Sept. But I want to be part of this. This board has already helped little me and my lonliness too much to express. Thank you all for welcoming me.
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Welcome! I did mean the 27th of September. Each month, we read a different book and then post on it at the end of the month. If people get behind, we can easily continue the post into October.

I'm glad this board is making you feel less lonely. It does that for a lot of us!

My problem is that I am #22 on the hold list at the library. Looks like I'll have to buy it. I'm glad you found it in large print.

So far, we've read:

THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME (forgot author's name--a little foggy, today)
    TRUE BELIEVER, by Nicolas Sparks
    STANDING IN THE RAINBOW, by Fannie Flagg
    THE LIFE OF PI, by Yann Martel

Ken
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO THE CLUB. We have no initiation, badges or uniforms. Refreshments are not served. Everydobby is welcome.

It's kinda like school. If you haven't read the book you can pretend you have.

What do you think? If we read Gullivar's Travels would the type stay the same size all the way through?

Like Ken, I am waiting for the library to fork over the book. If it doesn't show up on time, I'll just re-read my classic comic book of "Lassie, Come Home".

Nice to have you join us.
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hmm...I like the idea of an initiation, badges, and refreshments. Wasn't it Cromwell that suggested afternoon tea and scones?

TCM has been running "Lassie Cmoe Home" recently, so you could skip the reading and just watch the movie.

What is this icon supposed to be, anyway?

Ken
  5. rockgor

Many years ago I read that Erick Knight, author of L.C.H., never received any money from all the many Lassie movies.

How could this be? Anyway there was only the statement, no explanation.

Re: the enigmatic icon, this was the subject of a thread some time ago. Various possibilities suggested were: an old fashioned radio, an alarm clock, a siren and things too fierce to mention.

RE: Cromwell's suggestion, I don't think it was for afternoon tea and scones. I think she said we should get togeher on the Zieder Zee with phones.

Whatever.

Penny, re: the world of ESP, I bought such a book for my granddaughter. Said right on the cover: Made w/ Extra Strong Paper.
  6. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

Always nice to see another reader. Welcome!

Roseblossom
  7. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I thought we got wine served with this book club, I was all set to order up my favorite beaujolais..... jeez
  8. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

Dear very nice members of the book club. I just loved reading your replys to my first post and it is such an upbeat group and down right funny too. Especially Strong Paper, I just love that. What a sense of humor.
    I feel like I would do better if it was two months for book reports, since I read so many books at once and you'all are waiting for library copies. I mean I read so many because of my attention span, but this is such a funny book I am trying to apply myself most diligently. Can't drink wine either. Anyone for tea? I am on pretty restricted diet. Not much fun. Don't know what the icon is either.
  9. rockgor

Guten tag, buch liebhher.

Tonakay, when I was young my sister had beau. Jolais was his name. As suggested by the name, he was Hungarian. He was visiting the USA w/ his cousin from Germany, Dan Ube.

MrDad mentioned one of my favorite authors on another post. Tom Bodett. I had forgotten all about him.

Tom was a commentator on N.P.Radio and used to do folksy commericals for Motel 6. When I was young, that's what they charged per night: $6.

Anyway, about 15 years ago Tom wrote a wonderful book of essays called The End of the Road (which is Alaska). Checking w/ the library I found he has branched out into fiction, and I requested a couple of his books.

If, like me, you are always looking for new authors, try this one.
  10. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Is that the place they leave the light on?? If it is I bet they charge A LOT more than six bucks now.... Ok gotta go check this author out.....
    [This Message was Edited on 09/15/2006]
  11. rockgor

Last I heard re: Motel 6 prices was about 37 years ago. A friend paid $8. He had two pay an extra two bucks cause his wife stayed with him.

But I suppose the prices have gone up. The electric bill must be really high. All that leaving the light on, you know.
  12. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Depending on what your friends wife looked like, two
    bucks at Motel Six was a cheap, I mean, inexpensive date!

As in most instances what makes a great accomadation is
    the Service in the Room or, excuse me, the Room Service!

Boy that sweet PenneyGirl doesn't know what she's walked
    into here!! But then again, I'm just the Treasurer, rite
    Kenneth??

MRDAD
  13. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Sure was me who suggested tea and scones. Gee I am still waiting for the book also. At this rate I am going to be six weeks behind every reading....

I am going to be driven to buy this book if no luck today at library.

Hey Pennygirl, rockgar and mrdad sure are clowns. They brighten everyone's day as does Ken.

The three of them are rascals.

Love Anne
  14. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I dropped in to see what everyone was up to today and here many of you are, still waiting for the book. See, you all should have read it when I first suggested it! That'll learn 'ya.

Tom Bodett: "We'll leave the light on for 'ya", yes, I rememeber him. I thought he was part owner of Motel 6! Was it that long ago? Doesn't time fly when you're having fun....

I'm very interested to see what you all think of Marley. After Honora fessed up that it was her who didn't like it, it's now a matter of honor with me.

Marta

15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rockgor: I read THE END OF THE ROAD a number of years ago; great humor, very dry. Good tip on Tom Bodett's fiction.

$6 for a Motel Six room? I wonder what a tank of gas cost back then to get there.

I'm still #16 on the libe waiting list for MARLEY. I'll have to ride my scooter into Borders this weekend to buy it.

I'll try not to knock over the new releases shelf.

Ken
  16. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Mr Dad: We DO need a treasurer...
    I'd ask for funding from the federal government, but the CDC would probably divert it to other projects.

Marta: We'll try not to let Honora influence our opinion. But if I don't like MARLEY, I'm holding you personally responsible! :)

Ken
  17. rockgor

Ken, dispite the fact that my grossmutter came from Deutschland, I don't sprechen. I was forced to take two years of Deutsch in school, and didn't learn a thing.

Even having a boss named Liebherr (lover man) didn't help.

Gas cost, in response to your question, about 38 cents a galleon at the time in question. My father could remember when it cost a nitchell.

Marta, yes, we are still waiting. Brings to mind that old English Music Hall song (eh, Anne?). "There was I, waiting at the church, Lor', how it did upset me."

Did a crossword last night. One of the clues was "scones feature". Answer was "nooks".

Don't be afraid of MrDad, Pennygirl. All you need is a whip and a chair. Or do I mean a kind word and a pat on the head?

I have to go get ready for my Emotions Anonymous meeting tonight. After an absence of two years, I am so happy to have a meeting to go to again.