Sudden depression out of nowhere? Am I nuts?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by baca08, Oct 2, 2008.

1. baca08

baca08 New Member

Lately I've been having insomnia so I'll wake about 2 hours before my alarm. So as a result , during the day I've been experiencing these frantic thoughts , i get scared suddenly that something is going to happen similar to anxiety , and I'm fatigued. I feel so fatigued lately.

People say that I should be happy with my life and have nothing to be depressed about but what they don't understand is that's not what this is... I feel sad for no reason. It just hits when I stop and take inventory on myself. Its a very scary experience cause each time its a different challenge.
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Nuts are walmuts, almonds, hazelnuts, and should never be a reference to people who may be having mental health problems. Don't do that to yourself.

You should get a physical from your general practitioner first and blood work to make sure you are medically okay and that your blood values are okay, including thryoid. If all that comes up okay, then I would suggest you see a psychiatrist.

A psychiatrist would diagnose you, then together you can decide if treatment should consist of medication and therapy or just therapy. It sounds as if you are going into anxiety and panic and you want to work on that now and some therapists work with CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) to try to stop it. If you don't work on it now, anxiety and panic can begin to interfere with what you do in your life and may even begin to keep you home bound. It can get worse. So mental health problems can be worked on, and reach out for help now instead of later. Good luck and hugs.
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

We have had this discussion here before, depression is not always situational. Just because others view you as having a "good" life, doesn't mean you are guaranteed happiness.

Depression is often a chemical imbalance in the brain caused by various factors. You may need meds to get things straightened out w your neurotransmitters. (Just like a diabetic needs insulin) Also some people (like me) inherit the gene from their parents. You just never know who, why, how and when depr will strike.

Please get a Dr appt and don't put it off too long. It's better to nip it in the bud rather than wait until you can barely function because of anxiety and depression. I waited way too long one time when my depr got severe about 3 yrs ago, it was scary and it took me a long time to feel better. Not good. Now I see my Psychiatrist monthly and she keeps very close tabs on me!

Good luck to you. If you have any further questions, never be afraid to ask here....we all completely understand and support each other the best we can.

xxxooo Hermit
  4. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

can be a sign of depression and what you are describing sounds like a mix of depression and anxiety.

It's most probably situational as opposed to clinical depression if you are struggling with your health.

However I would talk to a doc as there is a lot they can do both with meds and counselling.

Hope you feel better soon.

Love Bunchy x
  5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

get this figured out with your dr.

I have inherited depression from my family too and have tried several meds along the way too.

I was doing ok on effexor xr for several years and then in Feb this year husband lost his job and no way could we afford Cobra to keep our insurance. I weaned myself off Effexor XR and I talked to my doctor and told her I thought I would need something to keep me level (I thought maybe I could get something generic & cheap)

and I ended up on something new and expensive and I don't like the way it makes me feel so I'm weaning off it.

So, its going to be back to the drawing board--but we need to figure out something affordable for me. I know I've been stressing out & worrying about how I'm going to pay for this when the samples are gone. Yes, some companies have patient assistance programs but I don't think I want to be on this drug.

I also have Fibro so I have pain issues with that too.

I hope all of this makes sence--its late.
  6. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

So sorry to hear you are experiencing depression. First of all, forget about "the people" (perhaps friends and family?) who say you should be happy with your life and have nothing to be depressed about. They aren't living your life and don't know exactly what you are going through. People who invalidate what you are feeling just make things worse and only fuel your feelings of doubt and can make the depression worse.

Secondly, fatigue and insomnia are a big deal. The longer I've had fibromyalgia and the more I've read about sleep problems, the more I realize how much unrefreshed and lack of sleep plays a role in our illness. Also, lack of sleep really adds to depression and anxiety. When you continually miss 2 hours of sleep each night, thing about how many hours of sleep you are missing out on per week (14 obviously) and how many hours that adds up to per month. Our bodies and our brains need that sleep to function well.

Sometimes it's a chicken and egg thing. Lack of sleep can INDUCE depression and anxiety. However, depression and anxiety can PREVENT you from sleeping well and can cause insomnia. I would suggest keeping a journal where you can explore your feelings. See what it is that's bothering you.

You mentioned that you are feeling and facing lots of challenges. There are definitely many challenges with having a chronic illness. Maybe if you write them down, it would help and prevent you from waking up early. I journal, and it helps me get to sleep faster. My tendency is to lay awake at night thinking about the day and what I have to do the next day. If I journal about these things, my mind has a chance to work these things out, and I will fall asleep faster.

If journaling doesn't do the trick enough, I would try counseling. The point is not to bottle up the feelings, which sometimes we don't even realize we're doing. Bottling them up will mess with your sleep. I don't think meds are a bad thing necessarily and they can complement helping with the anxiety and depression, but I think that if we don't confront our feelings, meds are only going to mask problems and issues that need to be addressed. I just started seeing a counselor myself and started uncovering some issues that I didn't even know were there. Having a chronic illness sure isn't easy. I hope this helps.

Take care and feel better.

All the best,

Erika

7. Didoe

Didoe New Member

If you have a rhuematologist, please ask to have your vitamin levels checked; being low in Bs, Vit D and calcium can bring on SEVERE (in my case suicidal) depression.

I've gone through 3 rounds of therapuetic levels (10,000 mg per day) of Vit D because I test chronically deficient...why? we dont know. But being brought up to normal levels has been miraculous.

Arthritis patients are vulnerable to being low in these vitamins and because we're usually dealing with chronic pain, right away its assumed its an emotional issue. A good doctor will rule out medical issues first before sending you to a shrink.
  8. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

First of all, you aren't nuts. It is scary to be awoken from a sound sleep in a panic, and not even know why. But just breath deeply and tell yourself "No matter how scary this might be, it's not going to kill me." I know it feels like your heart is going to explode right out of your chest when that anxiety hits. But it won't. I know all about being tired. I think I went literally years without sleeping well.

Depression has absolutely NOTHING to do with choice. None of us would choose to feel horrible 24/7. It's also not because of something you did or failed to do. That realization was huge for me. For a long time, I believed that my depression was because of something I'd done or not done. But it's just not true. You don't need a reason to be depressed. It just isn't. It isn't something you can just ignore either. Been there, tried that.

Are you in therapy or any kind of medication? I resisted both for a really long time. But they do help. But there's no such thing as a quick fix when it comes to depression. but you don't have to feel this way anymore. There is hope and help available. But you have to reach out for it. It takes courage, but trust me, it is well worth it.

Lms526