Sudden Hearing Loss and Tinnitus - "SSHL"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Svette_Palme, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Svette_Palme

Svette_Palme New Member

I googled around and found out about "SSHL"

SSHL stands for "Sudden SensoryNeural Hearing Loss" and it can come on in a few different forms, but for me it happened over a couple hours while working at the computer, like I am now.

When it finally hit full force, there was a HUGE increase of my regular tinnutus, but in just one ear. I could not hear out of that ear, tinnitus or not. There was dizzyness and nausea, though mild.

It lasted for three or four hours, and all I could do was sit in my recliner and bear it. I thought it might be a stroke, and in fact it is called "an ear stroke".

When I did turn the TV on, the sound was like it was coming from a poor quality tinny sounding hearing aid speaker that was right in my ear - perception was very skewed, obviously!

Then, after those four hours, things started to return to normal, over the next two hours.

I guess I was lucky - many with SSHL have those symptoms permanently. I don't know how I could stand it - normally, for many years now, I have tinnitus pretty bad but this episode was out of hand, like a jet engine in my living room. It overshadowed all other sounds too, even tho my other ear was normal I could not hear anything but the "jet engine".

My googling suggests it could be from a bug - virus, etc., or some sort of nerve damage in the aural nerve, or, my favorite - it could be related to "sensory processing overload" and fatigue and so on. There is a phenomenon called "recruitment" that is interesting too, and explains why some sounds can be percieved as very loud.

Anyone else have an experience like this? I think it would be more common in our group, since we have lots of "sensory processing pain disorder" victims here.

2. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I have had this all my illness but for me it passes in a few minutes. It is still scary to me even now - like you say, you think you are having a stroke or something.

Glad I am not the only one with this and yes with me it happens when I have overdone it either mentally or physically!

Gentle hugs,

Bunchy x

Edited to say that I know my illness has autoimmune stuff going on - I have high ANA,RF,ESR but the doctors are disinterested as it isn't anything obvious like Lupus.[This Message was Edited on 01/15/2009]
  3. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

I'm not sure if it is the same thing, but Missizzy has a lot of posts dealing with her tinnitus and sudden hearing loss. You can look on her posts for some information. She's improved but still wonders what is/was wrong with her.
  4. Engel

Engel New Member

I am glad you brought this up. It is just another thing I have learned to live with.