Sudden knee pain in both knees

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by jvd21, Mar 6, 2012.

1. jvd21

jvd21 New Member

I woke up and for unknown reasons had pain as I tried to walk in both of my knees. I am a 47 year old in good shape male with no history of any knee problems, My doctor sent me fo all blood tests that came back negative. I went to a several doctors had exrays and there was nothing found. I struggle to walk due to the knee pain, I can no longer exersize. I have pain when I am not standing or walking. Not sitting or sleeping. Please if anyone knows what may be causing this, Help me with some suggestions. Thank you John
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so sorry and wish I had some answers for you. Many of us have a very difficult time getting our conditions diagnosed. All I can suggest is not to give up. Something is causing your pain. I'm sending up a prayer for you and wishing you good luck.

BTW, we get more traffic over on our Fibromyalgia board and, even though you may not have FMS, there may be someone there who can help you. Go up to the left-hand top of the page to change boards.

Love, Mikie
  3. bonsor

bonsor New Member

The only thing which comes to mind is muscle imbalances/complications due to old injuries or habitual poor posture in either case "if that's the problem" there is no acceptable/recognized method to fix/cure the problem. There is away to test to see if that is the problem, it's not fun or easy but it's free. You wake up in the morning and feel your knees...just lay there and feel. Google the "relaxation response" and start practicing it, it will make it easier to feel your knees and deal with the "pain" you will experience doing this. Pain is a complex signal generated by damaged/distressed tissue to inform your brain of exactly what the problem is. The ouch part is simply a attention getting device like the siren on a fire truck. The object of this test is to extract the rest of the information in the signal which will allow you to identify the factors causing the signal to be generated. If the problem is muscle imbalances/complications there is a method to fix them...it's extremely tedious and time/effort dependent. a full description is posted here, http://jamesb.hubpages.com/hub/Speed-healing-of-trauma-injuries-through-self-directed-regeneration

It's also free.
  4. FibroJune

FibroJune Member

Have you tried omegas, turmeric, grape seed or glucosamine? All this can help with the inflammation, the first taken daily help me a lot with my knee pain. Also, have you considered trying a chiropractor? Check around and see if you can get a recommendation. Like everything else there are good ones and better ones.
  5. Learn about your prescription drugs and over-the-counter medicines. Includes side effects, dosage, special precautions, and more.
  6. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

jvd21, one thing that can affect knee pain is worn-out shoes. That happened to me recently. I wear Croc sandals much of the year, and while they are comfortable, they are inexpensive shoes that get worn out sooner than some other brands. Getting a new pair has helped my knees quite a bit.

The other thing that helps me with knee pain is a shea nut butter extract supplement called FlexNow. It's not a topical; it's taken orally.

Google Power of Shea to see their web site. It took me a couple of weeks to start getting some pain relief. I buy 2 bottles at a time to save money.

I'm also getting PRP prolotherapy for my knees, which has helped with pain and has stabilized my kneecap. Before the prolo, my kneecap would slide around when I bent all the way down, like to clean the litterbox.

Good luck!
  7. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

Hi, Jaminhealth. In June I had PRP prolo done on my right knee. My left knee wasn't bothering me much then, so I didn't get it treated.

The one session helped some with the pain, but I mainly noticed that my kneecap no longer moved around when I bend down. The stabilization is a good sign. So yes, I'd say that more than 1 session is required to get significant relief.

Since then my left knee has gotten really bad and moves around when I bend all the way down. So 3 days ago I had both knees treated with PRP prolo.

I'll do another round, but not for 2 or 3 months. My doctor said there is no problem with spacing the visits like that. You won't lose benefits you've gained if you wait awhile.

I've also had 3 PRP prolo treatments done in my back and neck on one side, and it's helped a lot with pain. It's not all gone by any means, but I've drastically cut down on how much I see the chiropractor now or need to use the ball to work out muscle spasms.

Something to consider with PRP is that it can produce a MUCH stronger pain reaction than regular prolo. I find it so much more painful afterward; and, of course, the things that would really help pain like ice and anti-inflammatories are off limits since that would defeat the purpose of the treatments.

I've had an even stronger pain response to the knee PRP prolo sessions than the neck and back. It's been just agonizing and really disrupted my sleep for several days.

After 3 days, I still can't use the stairs without a lot of pain, and I can't bend down to clean the litterbox at all. Luckily, my husband has taken that over for the time being. I don't miss that chore!

My doctor said it's normal to have a much higher pain response to the PRP. Also, compared to regular prolo, you can get the same results in about 1/2 the time with the PRP as opposed to regular prolo.

So it's roughly a wash with the money in the long run. I'm willing to go through more pain and expense to get faster results.

Hope that helps,
    J.