Sudden onset of debilitating weakness...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DeborahLynn, Feb 14, 2010.

1. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I hate to sound like I'm complaining; I'm not... The Lord's blessed too much for that! My health has been slipping over the past few months, and Sabbath afternoon, I was suddenly hit with severe weakness. I couldn't walk without assistance, and with each step, my muscles burned as if I were hiking up a steep mtn.

The weakness has gotten a little bit better, but I still can't walk more than a few shuffling steps. This has happened two other times; once at a store (a year and three mo. ago), I collapsed and had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital, and once at Uchee Pines Inst. a year ago.

I wonder if I should go to the dr's, but they weren't able to find anything then, so I hesitate to go now (plus I'm still way too weak to go anywhere). You know the feeling of going from doctor to doctor, being told there's "nothing wrong". It took me five years to finally be diagnosed with CFIDS/FMS... I kind of doubt if the doctors will find anything now...

Have any of you experienced this same thing? I've looked online to see if I could find anything that matches my symptoms. So far, I could only find something about adrenal fatigue, which doesn't exactly fit my symptoms, and which isn't even recognized by the Mayo clinic (are we surprised?).

I am resting, and trying to do everything that I learned at U.P. to the best of my ability. Thanks for "listening"! Much love to you all!

2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Our adrenals get overworked when we have CFS/FM. Often we counter our fatigue with caffeine or other stimulants but this just wastes the adrenals. Another classical sign is low blood pressure (both numbers) and salt craving.

One wonderful "crutch" or bandaid for fatigue is the pentose sugar Ribose. It directly fuels our broken mitochondria (the energy factory of each cell). Ribose doesn't cure CFS but it buys us some time to get well and function.

If you're a reader, Dr. Wilson's book is a great help. Most docs forget about adrenals.

3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

This has happened to me many times out of the blue. All I can do is rest, drink and eat...and wait. Dr told me that even if I went to the ER that they probably wouldn't do anything for me.

I have felt like I'm about to slip into a coma, so weak and breathing gets shallow. Everything goes dark, passing out, barely able to talk or open my eyes. I had a bout of this on Sat., very scary.
  4. sascha

sascha Member

but not to point of needing an ambulance. when i overtire myself physically (and for me that means just a burst of 'normal' activity), like last night after returning from seeing my grandchildren, i could hardly make it home in the car (i was driving). then i collapsed on the couch, and then for a period of time it is SOOO hard to move. i feel like i weigh over thousand pounds and i'm made out of hardening concrete. i hurt, all functions come to a halt, and i can do nothing until i've rested a certain amount. this can take a number of hours, overnight, or a couple of days.

i think it's common thing with cfids/me. we don't generate enough energy for daily pursuits, and it takes very little for any exertion to tip us over into big reaction of the not good kind.

take care- Sascha
  5. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I think I'll read up on adrenal fatigue, and see if I can find something that helps me.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, too... Not that I'd wish this on anyone, but it is reassuring to know that others have experienced this, too, and to know what they've done for it.

Take care, all!

6. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Dr. Wilson recommends mainly vitamin C and pantothenic acid (vit B5) for adrenal repair, but there are also many supplements for that too. MY doc told me that adrenals are slow to heal since we use them all the time. Kinda like a broken rib, everytime you take a breath, the rib gets stressed.

Use relaxing teas, chamomile, sleepytime el al. And avoid caffiene.

The ribose will take ~2 weeks to kick in for most but will make a huge difference.

R&R is the best medicine for the adrenals. Devorah means "honeybee" in Hebrew, don't be one, just think sloth for now.
  7. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

... I need to get some Vit. C and Vit. B5. I love drinking sleepytime and chamomile; I just now had a cup! I avoid caffeine, chocolate, anything stimulating... my system can't handle it at all!

I tried one container of D ribose, but didn't experience any benefits as far as I could tell, but I may not have given it enough time. It was quite expensive, so I haven't bought any more. Maybe I'll give it another go.

Yep, that used to be me - like a honeybee; for the last several years, I've been more like a sloth. It's so hard to pace myself, though, but for now, I can't overdo even if I wanted to! I talked with a lady from my church who has had CFIDS for several years, and she says she never learns her lesson, either, about pacing. When you feel a little better, you can't help but do a little more... I'm going to have to really crack down on myself when I get back on my feet, and really try to do the pacing...

Anyway, I'm rambling now... God bless all!

8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Since it has been a while since you have had something like this happen, I would go to the doctor just to rule out anything else going on. Unless you have been recently and had blood tests.

The same thing happened to me and it turned out my sodium was low enough to put me in the hospital. I just chalked it up to this DD. It turned out it was from a medication I was taking. Now my sodium is fine.

I am not saying this is what you have but I tend to blame everything on this DD.

Take care.

9. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

I had the weakness issue and it was related to adrenals as once I got on HC that was soooo much better.I agree it is not easy to find a doc that knows much about adrenals or gets it. I was finally put on HC by kind of an alternative type clinic. I really think I have addison's as I've been in adrenal crisis three times so I wear a medic bracelet now. I still have to pace myself and not overdo but I can function somewhat normally now. I had the burning muscles but figured out that was candida related, treated that and with time that left and thank God has never returned. Took me two years to get a handle on the candida, it is not an easy beast to tend with.

[This Message was Edited on 02/15/2010]
  10. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I hope I don't sound like a worry-wart or something, but just because there was nothing wrong the first time this happened doesn't mean that there couldn't be something going on now.

I've always found it very annoying when a doctor has said, "Well you know, we tested you for that 367 years ago and you were fine, so......" Yeah, blah, blah, blah.

Perhaps your electrolytes are off for some reason. Easy enough to fix.

At least give your doc a call. The same one you saw for this issue before because he/she will be able to compare your symptoms then and now.

Godd luck.
  11. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I took ya'lls advice and went to the doctor today. He drew four vials blood and did an EKG, and wants me to see a neurologist. (Due to strokes and brain surgery 16 years ago, I was on anti-seizure meds for several years. The seizures subsided and I didn't have to take meds from 2001 till 2009, when pain meds lowered my seizure threshold and I started having problems with complex partial seizures a year ago last November. The complex partial seizures manifest themselves as facial/muscle twitches.)

Here we go again - from doctor to doctor! :)

God bless, all!

12. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I think I do have OI, as it seems like the room spins when I sit up quickly, or straighten up after bending over.

I tested myself a few years ago, and it was more or less normal. I am going to try what you suggest here.

Glad to know you found out your limits, and know when to sit and rest! Thanks for hoping I feel better,

13. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

My doctor was hesitant to chalk it up to these diseases, too. I feel comforted that he is trying to find out what's what; just hesitate to start going from doctor to doctor again...

Thanks, and you take care, too!

14. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Sorry I didnt respond to this post sooner, I didnt catch it until today, 03/02/10.

I have been experiencing severe fatigue and muscle weakness off and on for a few weeks now. I feel so weak, I am having trouble holding a cup to my mouth.

I wasnt sure if this was related to fibromyalgia or not, but glad to see there is someone else out there with these symptoms.

You know - when I tell people I'm tired, severely tired, I get the usual "push through it".."maybe its this...maybe its that". Nobody wants to admit I have a chronic illness.
  15. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I hope your severe fatigue and weakness subsides soon! I know what you mean about people saying, "Just push through it; try this, try that..."

I've tried everything, it seems, with only minimal results, except for the great results from Uchee Pines Institute, which I was so hoping would be the beginning of my "climb back to health." The things I learned there have helped me tremendously; but I'm back to where I started, symptom-wise.

The best thing is that I can treat my pain and other symptoms with healthy treatments I learned there instead of all the meds the doctors put me on. They are more effective than all the 8 meds I was on before I went to UP.

Thank you for replying! Sorry if this doesn't make sense; I can't think straight right now! God bless!