Sudden servere overwhelming pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luckyman, Jan 21, 2009.

1. luckyman

luckyman New Member

I'm interested to know if anyone here gets a sudden worsening of symptoms. I am not talking about a flare after over doing it, or a flare for no rhyme or reason. I call them pain seizures, where my normally aching hands, legs, and other sensitivities, magnify rapidly over a few minute period to intense pain and exacerbation of all of my symptoms. I HAVE to lay down immediately, and silence all sounds, lights, and lie as still as I can. I am fully conscious, however have great difficulty talking, or making any movement because it will worsen the pain. Definitely incapacitating. Much worse than any injury, broken bones, torn ligaments and surgeries that I've experienced. After anywhere from 45 min. to 2 hours, I'm back to my moderately functional self. These episodes have happened a few times, where I have had to deal with it in public. Nearest bench, grass area, whatever is at my immediate disposal. I do have a couple of minutes while the pain is worsening to find my place. Once in awhile I can reverse the process through relaxation techniques if I'm able to catch it early enough. Looking for input, not sympathy.
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I've had it as well. I can be sitting here at home on my couch and suddenly I'll had horrific pain in my legs and arms. I cannot talk or think. Literally I have to sit in total quiet to get through it.
  3. star273

star273 New Member

These things have been one of the scariest things I have ever had. I didnt know what they were when I first had them. I have to say it was when I was under alot of stress, and the right side of my body would tense up like a muscle spasm, it was almost like a seizure but I was totally consious. I tend to have most of my FM pain on the right side. The first time it happened my mom took me to the ER. It was so scary. I thought maybe it was a stroke.... anyway, after many tests at the neurologists and other things, they never figured out what it was, just the FM they guess. They did EEG's and MRI's and everything to see if it was a seizure... I have since learned relaxation and try that when I feel like I am going to do it again. Also, I take a xanax and for some reason the Dr says it helps because it relaxes the nerves and also the muscles... I dont know, those are the only suggestions I can offer. They are the most painful things ever though. Worse then having a baby... seriously. I hope you can find something to help you. I seriously think mine was brought on by stress and doing to much.
  4. luckyman

luckyman New Member

Tried to respond 2x, but am having difficulties.